Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick: Masochist Review, and Swatches

                          If you're anything like me, a good liquid lipstick can hold ya' over for at least 2-3 months! On the hunt once again for a gem, I decided to try out Jeffree Star Cosmetics-- his line of Velour Liquid Lipsticks have only been bragged about to me so many times, to the point I just had to see what this "hype" was about. Below are some swatches on my NC20 skin, in both artificial, and natural lighting! I like to be as thorough as possible with you cuties. With that being said, sit tight, and read on to see my final thoughts on JSC. Is it worth it? Or is the brand of liquid lippies like any other?

         Do be noted, as a disclaimer, ALL products were purchased with my own money, anything stated below is MY opinion, and all photos are raw, with minor touch ups of a lighting change, sharpness enhancement or a saturation enhancement. These factors DO NOT physically change the construct of each photo, they make it so you loves can see em' clearly! Acts of "blurring" are NEVER done. Skin, is skin. If my makeup is not up to par on the lens, then it is not something I shall introduce to you beauties, though this has never, and will be never the case. Information stated below is both cited, and from my own studies. NOTHING has been copied, everything is my ideas, or shared concepts.

                   To not include imagery of FALSE advertisement my skin type is dry/senstive, and any redness, or scabs happen to be hives from sadly...my nerves. With that being said, product recommendations, and your ability to relate might fluctuation, so feel free to ALWAYS ask me questions, this way you don't end up spending money on the wrong items (for example, I use coconut oil as a base to sooth my hives, but for others this can be too oily, and NOT affective in curing one's acne, in which I don't have. Hives come, and go, and can sometimes last only 3 hours, so again, always ask before actually investing in products).


                         Alrighty, before getting into the brand itself, I would like to make it a point what exactly MASOCHIST means! In Eyeball Queen terms, it is someone who enjoys pain, according to dictionary.com it is a "sexual perversion characterized by pleasure in being subject to pain/humiliation." Aside from this name which to some could be a bit disturbing, the formula is truly what is important!  Now, when I think of liquid lipstick my perfect formula is something that is creamy, medium in thickness, and of course long lasting. Jeffree Star most definitely pulls this bad boy out of the park with a phenomenally smooth, and opaque texture that indeed lasted through oily chicken eating, and constant talking! I want to make it a point that EVEN with the oils from my grilled chicken rubbing against my lips as I ate, the color did not fade, and if it did it sure as heck fooled me. One thing I noticed is this liquid lipstick dries down harder than any other brand of liquid I have ever tried. Anastasia's Liquid Lipsticks are creamy, but nowhere near this amount of matte! Lime Crime's Velevetines are thinner in pigment, but again nowhere near the amount of matte Velour Liquid Lipstick in Masochist yields.  So what exactly is in this "crushed berries on ice" lipstick? Well, check out the ingredients I copied from his website below. I have a feeling the addition of Kaolin is why this product has such a significant matteness, do keep in mind the product was NEVER drying, just surprisingly stuck to mah' lips in not the most comfortable way possible.

                      Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Synthetic Beeswax, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Red 7 Lake (Cl 15850:1), Red 30 Lake (Cl 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (Cl 19140), Blue 1 Lake (Cl 42090), Red 28 Lake (Cl 45410)

             Makeup looks different on everyone. That shade of green might look green on a pale skinned beauty, but a bronze shift on a darker skinned love! With that being said, I was apprehensive on ordering this lipstick online, especially with the strong cool undertones, but the color pulled through, and was true to the online depiction. As you can see to the photo presented to your left the shade applied smoothly, and gave a full coveraged effect instantly! Although Jeffree Star's packaging is super adorable, it shares the same retailer as Dose of Colors, and Sugarpill-- I have in the past had trouble maintaining these containers, since they "leak" when in the wrong conditions. I am hopeful however, this JFC Liquid Lipstick will not follow in the same footsteps as my troublesome Dose of Colors Liquid Lipsticks! Oh, almost forgot that this product features a unique doe tip applicator, that is ACTUALLY trimmed correctly. In the past, I've dealt with too thick applicators that ended up applying much more product then was needed, luckily, JFC applicators give the correct amount each swipe. Is this worth $18.00? Well, is anything REALLY worth that much money? The answer is no, but I can see how one would retail the product at that price margin, being the item is sensational. 

                Here is a swatch of the product on my wrist! This photo was shot in direct warm lighting, so you loves can get an idea of how the shade shifts. If anything it goes from a dark pink, to punchy red! For those of you who tend to have oily skin, fear not this shade EVEN when removed with waterproof makeup remover leaves an extremely pigmented stain behind, in fact it took a day before any fading occurred. While this could be a positive thing for some, I didn't quite like the permanent stick, but c'est la vie! Will you be purchasing any Jeffree Star Cosmetics products come this Christmas? Comment below you thought love bunnies, XOXO. 
SaveSaveSaveSave