Thursday, October 13, 2016

Mythology: Autumn Woods Nymph Halloween Makeup Tutorial

                    You've more than likely heard of water nymphs, as well as meadow nymphs! One concept I noticed many have never quite touched on, is the concept of a Fall, or woodsy nymph.  As background knowledge, nymphs are apart of Greek mythology and are said to inhabit rivers, woods, meadows, seas, oceans, and other locations along with their striking beauty, to boot. Since I have a fascination with mythology in general, I thought creating a series, coinciding with Halloween was most ideal! A look of this nature, no pun intended, will require specimens from the outdoors. Be sure to WASH OFF each leaf thoroughly, and have them air dry a day prior to sticking em' on your skin, this way breakouts will not occur, and you won't have tiny insects crawling on your face...and down your body! Need a last minute Halloween costume? Look no further than a Nymph. 

                     Do be noted, as a disclaimer, ALL products were purchased with my own money, anything stated below is MY opinion, and all photos are raw, with minor touch ups of a lighting change, or saturation enhancement. My Mythology Series will inhibit more edits than a typical tutorial, but this is filtration, not literal face morphing!

Time to Complete This Tutorial: 56 Minutes

Morphe M439 Deluxe Buffer; One (1) Pump of Primer
*Mac Cosmetics Eyeshadow, Royal Woo (blusher, face definition)
*Sugarpill Cosmetics Pressed Eyeshadow, Flamepoint (bronzer, face definition)
*Milani Cosmetics Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow, Bella Bronze (face definition)
*L'oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick, Golden Splendor
*Violet Voss Glitter, Goldie 
*6 Leaves (collect 10, some will break off)

           While the products list might seem a tad overwhelming, once the tutorial progresses on, you shall see much less is used than with typical elaborate Halloween looks! Moreover, each product ties into one another. Before applying any makeup, I wanted to ensure an ample base was formed, so I took one pump of my Marc Jacobs Coconut Face Primer, and softly distributed it across my skin starting from the center of my face massaging out towards my hairline! Keep in mind a good primer will create a shield between your natural skin layer, and the makeup layer, thus it's extremely important to use a reliable, and verifiable product. For an evened out complexion, I took the liberty of buffing Nars's Sheer Glow Foundation across all 4 (four) planes of my face by using a Morphe M439 brush! Don't go crazy with flawless coverage, just make sure redness, and imperfections are invisible. Especially with using a pallet of strong yellows and reds, the last thing you want is your blemish to be the most eye catching factor! Take a look at the image presented to your left-- I wanted to catch an angle that would show off the cheek definition in a clear manner, this way confusion could be easily avoided. Now that you have that visual in your mind, and the visual reference to the left, let's get into it! I highly suggest choosing a slanted brush, this way the process will fly by quick, and all shadows will blend in seamlessly. Picking up my Tarte Swirl Powder Brush, I coated the bristles with Royal Woo shadow by Mac Cosmetics, and began softly blending it across the outer three of my face with an emphasis on my cheekbones! Any excess product was dragged under my chin, I found this formed an illuminated effect. Going down a hue, Flamepoint was applied directly to the hollows of my cheeks and STIPPLED onto my forehead, followed by Bella Bronze by Milani Cosmetics for a slight contrast! The goal here is NOT to form an overly defined face, the goal is to create an ethereal and complementary complexion to what I see a Woodsy Nymph as. Applying straight yellow, doesn't work the same as applying a typical blush, ya feel?


                Glowing is a key factor to creating that "out of this world" look! Instead of a finely milled highlighter, I went with a chunkier, more so glitter pressed highlight, specially BeautyBarBaby's Glamorous Life. Dipping my ring finger into the product pan, I streak all given pigment across the 4 (four) main high points of my face, those being on top of my cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose, and slightly onto my chin, and forehead. By this point, I stopped and began piling on the leaves! Try collecting around 6 (six), perhaps even 10 (ten) at most -- leaves will crack, spare your patience, honey. With my Ardell lash glue, I coated the inner stem of each leave, then applied all at the same time! My ideal spots happen to be by the sides of my eyes, down by my jaw line, and on my hair as a centerpiece. If you're a perfectionist, such as myself, feel free to apply, and detail, the leaves with BeautyBarBaby's Glamorous Life highlighter, aim for the veinings as this'll create the most natural accented effect. It tis' now GLITTER TIME! Tilting my head back, I shook Goldie Glitter by Violet Voss across my face with a concentration near my forehead (opposite side of the leaves). Obviously, the eye makeup was completed by this time, so my falsies had an extra gleam of sparkle! Just before I set my skin, Golden Splendor lipstick by L'Oreal Paris was coated onto my lips, followed by a hint of Glamorous Life highlighter towards the center. The only area that'll need setting powder is your under eyes, the rest can be set with a setting spray! I personally dabbed Nars's Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder closely to my under eyes with a Sephora Teardrop brush, then sprayed on Mac's Fix+ in quantity to my entire face.

 Row 4, Column 4 (lids); Row 4, Column 5 (crease); Row 2, Column 6 (lower lash line); Row 5, Column 6 (inner corners)
 Buttercupcake (transitional); Flamepoint (crease); Love+ (inner v)
*Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Pigment, Goldilux (lower lash line)
*Colourpop Creme Gel Liner, Puppy
*Huda Beauty Classic False Eyelashes, Scarlett 

              Apologies love bunnies for the different styled cover photo, eye makeup wise! I wasn't quite satisfied with the way my full frontal eye images came out. First off, eyebrows? You won't needa' stress yourself today cuties. I found by NOT applying eyebrow pomade, I actually created a more soft, and sensual effect. Adding the brows was WAY too harsh, no matter how lightly I filled em' in! With that being said, I trolleyed straight along to mixing shadows and pigments together. The first color applied to my lids is from Morphe's 35U pallet! Row 4, Column 4 was softly dusted across my lids with a defining M433 brush. Pigment build is NOT necessary! Switching pallets to Sugarpill's Burning Heart, and brushes to Morphe's E22, I swirled fully into Buttercupcake and carefully swished the matte yellow throughout my crease with wide side to side blends. For a bit of extra definition Row 4, Column 5 was mixed with Flamepoint and taken straight into my crease-- I suggest following the natural creasing your eye socket, as this makes for the most flawless, and round styled smokey eye possible. To finish up the eye makeup, shadow wise, I carefully applied Love+ into the inner v of both eye sockets following a "c" blending motion, then smudged Row 2, Column 6 and Row 5, Column 6 across my lower lash lines. Make sure the illuminating shade is kept near the tear ducts, as Goldilux will detract light inwards once applied to the inner third of one's lower lash line. 

              There is nothing worse then contemplating between brown eyeliner, and black eyeliner. Trust me, when you take 12 minutes blending shadows, and have the life changing factor of liner, IT COUNTS! I ended up going with a soft black (Revlon's ColorStay Liquid Liner in Black Out), followed by vibrant melon colored waterline liner (ColourPop Creme Gel Liner in Puppy).  The contrast was stunning, and really encompassed the idea of Autumn well! For lashes I went all out by applying L'oreal's Feline Noir, and Huda Beauty's Classic False Eyelashes in Scarlett. Keep in mind, the more lash volume you create, the more dramatic your final look will be!
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave