Thursday, June 2, 2016

Highlighter Challenge Glowy Bronze Makeup Tutorial


                             Don't you love that one part of makeup where you're able to apply AS MUCH product as you desire?  Pretty much all of us beauties are guilty when it comes to highlighter...hehe. As being an illuminator junkie myself, I decided to take on the recent "Highlighter Challenge" which simply means your whole face was made up using multiple glow products, with exceptions being mascara, brow product, and face bases!  This has to be my FAVORITE makeup look yet simply because it was easy to complete, entailed a few products, and the outcome looked spectacular in real life, and on camera.  Something that might strike the community of loves who prefer using less products is the versatility of these shimmery products! Eyeshadow? No problem apply a bronzy hue.  Blusher? Ooooh right been there done that with a bronzy pink shade that doubles as a bronzer. CONTOUR? Hahah you're joking me right? Chiseled up those cheekbones a few seconds ago with a deep bronze glow! Point is experiment, know your products INSIDE AND OUT, that includes ingredients used, and gel certain substances together. For example, I meshed a setting spray with Anastasia Beverly Hills Illuminator in Starlight, the duo gave a very dramatic and eye catching glimmer to my skin as opposed to the powder dry! BY THE WAY, I actually have done a makeup look ALL HIGHLIGHTER before, this is just a more to the point version, check it out here: Everyday Simple Copper Glam. Have fun my love bunnies, and watch out for the YouTube tutorial going up in a few hours to this tutorial/challenge. 

BASE/SETTING

GLOWING BASE
*Elf Shimmering Facial Whip(s), Golden Peach + Spotlight 
*Nars Liquid Illuminator, Copacabana 

BRONZER/BLUSH/HIGHLIGHT/CONTOUR
 *Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit: Golden Bronze, Bubbly (That Glow Kit)
*Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, Pink Quartz 
*Nars Highlighting Blush, Miss Liberty 
*ABH Illuminator, Starlight

                           Obviously speaking YOU CANNOT go into the highlighter challenge with acned skin since illuminators highlight EVERYTHING! What I had done prior to recording is applied my Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base to all zones of my face (hairline included) followed by a super light coating, but just enough to cover redness, of Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau Foundation using a Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush.  These two products together form a dewy face base perfect for the summer due to the Guerlain foundation containing SPF, double bonus woohoo! Anyhow, now moving along to the "on record" portion. Using a mixture of Elf's Shimmering Facial Whip in both Golden Peach and Spotlight, I took the sticky formula onto the high points of my face  (cheekbones, bridge of nose, cupids bow, forehead, and chin) using the fluffy side of Urban Decay's Naked 2 pallet brush.  This mixture was used as a general guide for placement purposes, however don't be afraid to build up pigment, just realize the fact this is NOT the only product being applied today ;)! Speaking of other products, I then took a pea-sized amount of the Nars Liquid Illuminator in Copacabana and began downward streaking it across those same high points mentioned previously. Straight off the bat Copacabana is MUCH more light reflecting than the Shimmering Facial Whips by ELF, so I decided to this time around pay more attention to my brow bones, the inner corners of my eyes, and cupids bow. Drawing attention to these forgotten area's will attract light to the center of your face (eyes, nose, lips) rather the outskirts (cheekbones, chin) thus making for a more aesthetically pleasing appearance!

                       Although once the liquid products were blended onto my skin I moved forth in completing the eye makeup, for organization ideals we shall continue onward as if the eye makeup already occurred (scroll down if you must)! Just as mentioned in my introductory paragraph, shimmers can be manipulated to give the exact effect you want, you just have to be knowledgeable about the form of shimmer you're dealing with. For instance, some powders contain glitter particles, thus you probably shouldn't use it as a contour, and others are finely milled, thus giving natural sheens to the skin, making it perfect for the next bout off steps! As a blusher/bronzer in one duo I chose Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Brick in Pink Quartz simply because it encompasses both equal parts of pink and subdued bronze.  Using my Mac 168 brush I gently blended the shade onto my skin starting from the temples of my face down to the hollows of my cheeks and around the natural angle of my jawline, this better known as the "outer 3" of one's face! To add a tad bit more of dimension I then took Golden Bronze from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit and smudged it prominently across the hollows of my cheek, excess product was dusted on the sides of my nose.  Nowwww onto the actual glowing section-- hate to disappoint you loves but its a straight shot through! With my Morphe M143 Deluxe Soft Fan brush I evenly disbursed Becca's Champagne Pop Highlighter across the tops of my cheekbones followed by the bridge of my nose and cupids bow with gentle back and forth motions.  To add a bit shimmer I then went into Miss Liberty (my favorite hehe) and with one sweep dusted it on top of Champagne Pop!

                  By this point you should look pretty damn reflective, to the point you might wanna' contact planet Mars ;)! Kudos to people who ACTUALLY understood the reference. Before going any further I heavily applied Nars's Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder to the highlighting zones of my face (under eyes, forehead and chin, between cheek to jaw contour) using a cleaned Sephora #74 brush, essentially I baked for a good 4 minutes before dusting excess powder off! Nooooow we can go a step further into the glow pond. Applying a few spritzes of Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray to my face I quickly acted upon the dewiness and packed on Anastasia Beverly Hills's Starlight Illuminator to my cheekbones especially! DO NOT REFRAIN FROM LAYERS, go all out until your face finally mattes down, which generally takes 2 minutes until the spray fully absorbs into one's pores.  As far as the lips go I blended Golden Peach Shimmering Facial Whip by Elf onto my entire lip area in one light layer followed by Bubbly glow powder centered on top! Once again, workin' the multi purpose benefits hehe.  Oooh almost forgot, PLEASE excuse the cat ears I wore during this tutorial, I needed something to keep my hair back!
 *Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit: Bubbly (lid) + Golden Bronze (crease, lower lash)
*Bh Cosmetics Wild & Radiant Pallet: Shade 4 (center of lid), Shade 2 (brow bone)
*Becca Champagne Pop (inner corners)

                                Forever wishing I had taken an up close image of the depicted eye makeup above, oh well c'est la vie. Originally I had the idea in mind to create my OWN brow product using illuminators, then I realized i'd look completely foolish since brows are not typically shining lightbulbs! To compensate I used my all time favorite Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer in Caramel and gently defined + lined through both of my brows followed by a much needed spoolieing this way the product was evenly disbursed and not so intensive.  I then went straight into the shadow using my M433 Morphe Brush, Bubbly was first up :)! The shimmery peach toned highlighter was brushed through my crease with side sweeping motions, I made sure to emphasize the color mostly on my lid while using dragging upward strokes to ensure my crease shape was outlined correctly.  For added definition I then took Golden Bronze from the same pallet and eased it through the inner V, or creasing, of my eye socket with the same side to side motions! I occasionally switched up my blending method to tiny circular motions to ensure the highlighters were as disbursed out as possible, keep in mind highlighters disburse quicker than powder shadows SO be mindful of your blending. The M433 Morphe Brush is a staple brush for the eye makeup process, I highly suggest you have a dual purpose blender equipped this way you can do all of this in under 10 minutes!

                Using the Bh Cosmetics Wild & Radiant Pallet brings back some memories to April when I thought an all highlighter makeup look was BOMB, little did I know many were ahead in creating challenges of the sort! Going into shade 4, which is a marbled golden hue, I picked up decent pigment and began DOWNWARD placing it onto the center of my lid.  I noticed these shades in particular are very soft in texture, making them a pain in the butt pigment wise, so to adhere best firmly streak the shadow onto your lid.  Being I had the pallet out I picked up shade 2 and dusted it across my brow bones followed by Becca's Champagne Pop in the tear duct's of my eyes :)! Yes, we just highlighted highlighter areas WITH highlighters, go figure. Switching back to Golden Bronze I smudged it across my lower lash line using the side of my blending brush, we just want a sheen of color here!  This next portion is COMPLETELY optional, I just thought it was a brilliant addition to this makeup look-- rather putting the excess illuminator on the back of my hand to waste I picked up my Urban Decay Electric Pallet Brush, specifically using the tiny shader side, and brushed it along my waterlines.  This created a SUPER eye awakening effect perfect for those craving bigger eyes!

           FINNALY, doll up your lashes with your mascara of choice. I opted in for the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara simply because it gives a "false" eyelash effect without the dreaded clumping and hassle of actually applying falsies! I hope you beauties enjoyed this DIFFERENT sort of tutorial as most have been quite serious lately-- I know, I know, I've been lacking in the rant department, however I've been pretty mellow these few months as my skin has thickened. IF someone wants to say I look like a clown, so be it! I'm not the one at the end of the day picking on another for absolutely no reason other than jealously-- you do you girl and rock that shiny glow, those big fat lashes, and defined brows.  If you makes you happy, DO IT-- this only pertains to makeup as my opinions of body modifications vary.  Happy Thursday :)!