Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Classic 1950's Barbie Makeup Tutorial


                    There's something so darling about Barbie's iconic blue eyeshadow bouncing off of her fiery red lips that I just HAD to replicate the 1959 doll! Now, as many of you beauties know I happen to have a Barbie Inspired series.  In each look I like to make it a point that IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, am I advocating for one to conform to unrealistic standards! The point is to EMBRACE who and what Barbie is, and going along with the idea of conforming, conforming certain characteristics to one's self.  Normally it is terribly frowned upon in the makeup industry to pair two primaries together such as blue and red, and in most cases I veto this, however when paired with a balance of heavy eyeliner to sculpt the eyes out and minimum contour, it truly becomes a match made in heaven! PLEASE do take your time with the makeup look IF you plan to replicate, key factors such as mentioned before, the heavy liner, MUST be precise and clean cut, otherwise you're simply wasting your time.  The same premise goes forth with the huge red lips as well, no overlaying, just a well fitting red! Lastly, prop wise the  necklace and clip on earrings are a staple from the 1940's-- though they're not quite in the era of 1950s Barbie they seamlessly fit as Barbie herself wears a chunky necklace along with chunky earrings in the early version, see the photo provided towards the very end of this blog post :).  Oooh be sure to have WATERPROOF eyeliner's present, the weather is beaming this will be a struggle for some of you loves!

*Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, Gobi + Siberia (highlight)
*Nars Liquid Illuminator, Copacabana + ABH Illuminator, Starlight

                        Before getting into the deets, cleaaarrr your mind girl! Do you think Barbs walks around totally stressed? Heck no! This might sound completely bizarre BUT sometime's makeup looks come out 10X better when your mindset is on par with the tutorial at hand. For example, if the makeup you're planning to dazzle is a black smokey eye, that means your mindset must be fierce and confident otherwise the makeup is simply pointless; on an empty casket rather.  Anyyyhooo, prior to applying the given products above, I had smoothed on Perfectly Posh's Apricots Overnight mask in one light layer to all zones of my face, the mask was left to sit for a good 5 hours until I was ready for removal! This is absolutely spectacular at hydrating the skin and removing dry patches, SO if you ladies at home want to try it out either in a sample or full version sized, click the link provided here: http://leynakee.po.sh. At the 5 hour mark I had washed the Apricots Overnight mask off in warm water and followed up by entrenching my skin in surge of hydration using my favorite Fresh Seaberry Oil! Personally speaking, use whatever products work best for you.  I tend to list out my facial routine because it's background knowledge for you beauties and sets the stage for the products to come. As loooong as your skin is squeaky clean fear not, the makeup shall be awaiting for you ;). 

                   Speaking of makeup awaiting, first up is the priming stage!  Using exactly one PUMP of the Marc Jacobs Coconut Primer onto the back of my hand I gently began "dashing" the milky substance onto the high points of my face, this method helps save product as well as form an even application for blending due to each side having one dash, thus a balance is formed. Once the set up was prevalent I moved forth in smoothing the primer across all zones of my face with large circular motions, I made sure to disburse the primer evenly out towards my hairline! It is COMPLETELY up to you beauties wether you'd prefer letting the primer set at a given time, or to move forth in the foundation stage. For me, I find shooting straight with no bumps in the road to be the BEST method, however for some their primers need time to fully absorb (oil based primers, color correcting primers, primer meant to help acne, ect.). Being I looked like Casper the ghost yesterday morning due to a cold I decided to choose Nars's Gobi foundation, the light, build-able, and creamy texture was much needed! Gauging at a quarter sized amount, I carefully poured the product onto the back of my hand with close guidance-- this tends to be runny if you don't keep your hand stable. Then picking up a cleaned Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush I fluffed the product lightly into the bristles of my brush and began gently stippling/downward stroking it against all zones of my face, starting with my left cheek in specific! In my findings there is NO right way to apply foundation.  As long as you stick with stippling motions for those area's needing extra attention, and downward strokes for the canvas as a whole your foundation should look flawless! Do keep in mind foundation is the basis for the makeup to come, it is NOT to fully cover...at least for this look that is.  Barbie is quite notable for her flawless complexion, here is where the perfecting comes into play! Switching to the shade Siberia (same Nars Sheer Glow foundation) I took a pea-sized amount of the product onto a PAPER TOWEL as this saved me the stress of watching were the product would flow.  I then picked up my Sephora Concealer Brush and applied the product under my eyes in diagonal strokes as well as down the bridge of my nose up to my forehead in a single formation (repeated three times for a flower like effect), and from my left jaw to chin and finally to right jaw in one firm tug! Excess product left on the Sephora brush was simply swept above my lip, around the sides of my nose, and under my brows as a highlight.  For cream contouring purposes N100 by Cover Fx was taken onto the sides of my nose, in the hollows of my cheeks and on my jaw line with light dotting motions! I tried to use the LEAST amount of contour as possible because when I'm sick contour looks beyond silly on my skin, when blended out that is.  Ahhhh yes, now onto blending! Using my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush I firmly began stippling the creamy products into my skin starting from my left jaw line up. Contouring is truly subjective-- some contour their temples, some don't; some use Fix+, some don't; some start from the center, some don't.  Find your beat and path darlin'!

                                    It is quite odd for me NOT to use a bronzer after the cream contouring process, however the warm tones would look too brash against my skin tone at that moment in time! Instead I opted in for my Marc Jacobs #instamarc Filtering Contour Powder pallet in Mirage Filter, the light bronze with taupe undertones helped add depth to my skin without being too overpowering.  With that being said, using my Mac 168 I gently swept into the bronzy shade and began brushing it across the temples of my face down to the hollows of my cheeks and around to my jaw line, excess was taken under my chin for added drama! If you pay close attention to the doll displayed via your right, she has a VERY rosy pink glow to her, so I took the liberty of applying Nars's Gaiety blush across the apples of my cheeks blended up towards my hairline with that same Mac 168.  WHERE you apply the blush is uber important because if you apply it in horizontal streaks it'll look foolish and just like clown makeup, try to aim for a seamless blend, if pigment build-up is needed work in dusty layers!  Going along with the concept of REALLY gazing at the doll's features, it'll also become noticeable to you that she has a strong glow factor-- no, not because she is plastic.  To replicate this to a "t" I took a pea-sized amount of my Nars Liquid Illuminator in Copacabana and proceeded to gently tapping it onto the high points of my face (bridge of nose, cheekbones, cupids bow, forehead/chin) using my ring+index finger squeezed together! Then switching to a Morphe M143 Deluxe Soft Fan brush I dusted Anastasia Beverly Hills Illuminator in Starlight right over those exact area's the liquid originally touched, aim for white golds if you strive to mimic the glowyness present.  Not to flatter myself but I honestly think I found a red that matched beyond perfect to the actual dolls lips, ABH Spicy Liquid Lipstick! Be warned, this color at first can be quite strong but once matted down it turns into a stunning spicy red...funny how the name correlates ;).  As for setting my skin I brushed on Nars's Light Reflecting Loose Powder across all highlighting zones of my face with a Sephora #74 brush, if you're unaware, the highlight zones happen to be under the eyes, one's forehead/chin, and between the cheek/jaw contour! The setting powder was then followed up by the finishing step of spraying on Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray to ALL angles of my face, I like to "nod" and "twist" my head around during this process, hey, makes for a good stretch too. 
*Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Pallet: Mousse (crease), Butter Pecan (brow bone, inner corners), Licorice (lower lash line)
*Sugarpill Cosmetics Pressed Eyeshadow, CandyCrush (lid)
*KoKo Lashes, Marilyn 
                           I can NOT stress brows enough to you beauties, they must be sharp and defined! Rather sitting there ALL day long trying to pick up adequate product using a brush, I decided to opt in for my Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer in Caramel, this makes the process a breeze ;). Slanting the stick formula on an angle I began to gently "flick' the product upwards with quick strokes this way it mimicked brow hairs accurately, when it came time to line I simply applied more pressure and spoolied out harsh lines with the flip side of the definer! I wasn't too concerned on applying concealer after BECAUSE the clean up process was done using Nyx's Jumbo Eye Pencil in Strawberry Milk, the stick was first applied under my brows in one streak then another streak smudged onto my eyelid. Using a clean ring finger I gently blended the makeshift priming base in evenly, excess was taken under my lower lash line!  Normally I put the eyeshadow in a separate paragraph, however being the eye makeup is BEYOND simple it really is not necessary. With that being said, using my Mac 239 brush I gently smudged into the pan of CandyCrush and proceeded to patting the beautiful shimmery blue on my entire lid! DO NOT be afraid to build up pigment with this baby, you'll need it.  As far as the crease goes, I simply brushed across Mousse from the Too Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Pallet with a M433 Morphe Brush! I find the best motion to be side sweeps, treat this just like a transitional shade. Due to the M433 Morphe Brush having super fluffy bristles I picked up Butter Pecan and heavily smudged it onto the tops of my brow bones as well as on my tea ducts, the shimmery gold makes for a stunning highlight!

                               The liner can get quite funky-- you'll either look like a majestic panda, or Barbie's spiting image! First off, using the Kat Von D Ink Liner in Trooper, I began to give myself thick cat wings that extended right up to where my crease naturally creases over, I also made the wing flick out towards the ending of my brow.  Switching to ABH's Jet Creme Color I then HEAVILY smudged the vivid black across my waterline's (both upper and lower) using a Mac 212 Flat Definer Brush, try to smudge excess product on the lower lash line, this will create a smokier effect! Speaking of smokey effect's, with that same definer brush I picked up the shade Licorice and proceeded to smudging the black directly on my lower lash line followed by Candy Crush for added drama :-).  Begin finishing up the eye makeup with a smudging of mascara across both the upper and lower lash lines (Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara), along with the application of your FAVORITE dramatic falsies (Marilyn by KoKo)! Hopefully you beauties enjoyed this tutorial as it was less serious than my most recent tutorial's, have a good weekend and DEF be sure to check out my YouTube for my newest tutorial posted.