Monday, March 14, 2016

Sultry Shimmery Silver and Blue Virgo Smokey Eye Zodiac Makeup Tutorial


                    A few of you were wondering as to when I'd pick up on the Zodiac series once more since I've been aiming towards Spring editions of previous looks, I am happy to say here is the next sign, Virgo! Virgo has a very dark color spectrum that is earthy in tone, moreover its bleh.  To help amp things up a bit since Virgo's are amazing I leaned towards the grey shimmery side of the spectrum with pops of royal blue! As I had said numerous times in my video tutorial, this makeup look closely correlates to my Powdered Blue Halo Eye, the only difference being this is grey in tone and has much more depth. This look is PERFECT for a night out on the town; the mesmerizing shimmery silvers and grey will surly make you the center of attention ;)! Be sure to have equipped a few blending brushes, though the eyeshadow took under 5 minutes (amazing, right?) I had to switch between two main brushes, a fluffy tampered blending brush and a dense blending brush to distribute and concentrate certain colors. This is ALL about the blending skill, let your creativity fly Virgo's, don't be afraid to change this look up a bit (perhaps changing the lip color, or eyelashes)! Before getting into a fluent description of what was done do be noted this look is very simplistic, it's one of those intense smokey's that in reality encompass three shades. 

*Dose of Colors Liquid Lipstick, Bare With Me

                          I am still not quite certain on if my new product's have made me break out OR it's just hormonal so I went ape shit when it came to cleansing my skin last night. The ape shit attack all began with first gently washing away impurities with my Murad Time Release Acne Cleaner. I allowed the cleanser to foam into a nice silky lather until I scrubbed the product off under steamy hot water!  The steamy hot water, is addicting.  Not only does the steam open up pores and help to remove impurities such as blackheads or just clogged pores in general, it is VERY relaxing and helps to yield a smooth skin texture sans dry patches or over oiliness!  I stayed under the water for around 6 minutes, occasionally I rubbed my skin to ensure I was not getting overheated.  After a nice and long mist of moisture I then proceeded to patting my skin dry with a clean towel, I set everything with a beaker full of Fresh's Seaberry Oil.  When it comes to facial oil don't be mistaken into believing it can cause acne or enhance oiliness, certain oils actually combat these two skin conditions!  For me the Fresh Seaberry Oil helps to give a radiant complexion while riding my skin of dry patches. With whatever you guy's choose to use on your skin (hey that rhymed HAHA) make sure you extend it out towards your hairline, it'll be beneficial in the long run!

                        The Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base is apart of the new products I received (view my March haul) a few day's ago so I decided to give it a try, what's the worst that could happen? I break out a bit boo hoo, that goes away in time.  I was actually quite surprised with the amount of product provided in the sampler jar, a good months worth at that!  Using my ring finger I picked up a tiny amount of product (about the side of the tip of my finger) and began dashing it across all zones of my face (cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin).  I then went forth in blending the product out towards my hairline with smooth dragging motions, most start from the center of the face and work their way out but for me I find it most ideal to start from my forehead! Make sure when you're blending in the primer of your choice you know the key benefits beforehand.  For example, the Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base is acclaimed to smooth dryness and be universally flattering for all! On the other hand another primer might have the benefit of canceling out redness, and that MIGHT not be what you're going for, in fact at times green tones can form sallow complexion.  Always choose products fit for YOU, experimentation has it's perks! One last thing to keep in mind is the amount of time you allow your primer to set- if the product contains oil it generally should sit on your skin for 8 minutes, if it does not contain oil the primer should sit on your skin for 3-5 minutes.  

                      The foundation you choose is VERY important for this look, grey shadow can easily wash someone out you must make sure your skin is as flawless as possible! Since I am in love with my new Bh Cosmetics Liquid Foundation in Light Olive I decided to give it another go, I originally used it in my Spring Copper/Bronze Goddess tutorial. With exactly one pump of the foundation onto the back of my hand I began to evenly spread the foundation over all zones of my face using my beloved Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush! This foundation is extremely build-able in coverage which is a major pro when it comes to wanting flawless coverage. I personally stuck to stippling motions that worked clockwise in tiny circular motions, I like to begin on area's needing the most foundation first such as my forehead and in the case of last night my right cheek!  This enables me to use LESS product in the long run, talk about a makeup artist's dream.  Though many prefer to let their foundation set I skipped that process and moved right into cream contouring, I figure the product placement will get swished around anyway! 

           Contouring is NOT optional for this look, it is an absolute must.  Besides, why would you want to be full glam sans fabulous bone structure?! A few things you should know is contouring varies from person to person, certain features I highlight/contour will look very different on others.  Moreover, know your face and know your products the problem you experience with contouring MIGHT not be due to your skill level! Anyhoo, Using Cover Fx's N0 with my Sephora #20 brush I gently drew on upside down triangles under my eye's that connected up towards my hairline and around to my forehead.  From my forehead I drew a straight line down the bridge of my nose, then I stemmed the product back up towards my forehead around to my left under eye area and down to my left jaw line. Taking the positioning from my left jaw line I took the light cream over my chin and to my right jaw line! I prefer to add more light to my skin than contouring tricks, it helps to brighten up my feature's plus since I love using cream foundation's it covers much more.  To contour my skin I turned my brush over to the side and picked up a fairly good amount of Cover Fx's N100.  With N100 I contoured the hollows of my cheeks, my jaw lines, and the sides of my nose with a line on top for definition! To blend everything out I picked up my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush and began to stipple in the pre placed product on my skin.  In the tutorial I described a few reasonings as to WHY I rely on this brush, primarily it is because the bristles contain so much product that if I need to spot correct I can firmly stipple on WITHOUT adding extra product! When it comes to blending you should really only stick to stipples and buffing motions, that is all you should need.  Also, make sure you buff out towards the hairline for the most natural and even finish!  


                              Since I literally went right into a liquid bronzer I decided to ditch drying time once more and dew the hoola ;). See what I did there? Huhhh, no? Okay anyways. The funny part about Benefit's Dew the Hoola liquid bronzer is a month ago I was complaining to you guy's on how annoying it is to wait for my cream contour to set then go into a powder which swishes the product around!  Besides that, with exactly ONE PUMP of the bronzer on the back of my hand I picked up my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush and gently dotted the product along the hollows of my cheek's, along the sides of my temple's, and on my jaw line's. It seems much simpler to just outright blend the product out, but trust me you'll use less product dotting it on then applying a lump sum and needing to go back into the product for more! As you might of guessed, to blend out the bronzer I simply used gently stippling motions.  When it came to the hollows of my cheeks I blended upright to form the illusion of higher pulled up cheekbones.  To further this illusion I then went into my Smashbox Step By Step Contour Kit and with the contour shade gently blended it on my cheeks, under my chin, and on the sides of my nose using a Mac 168 brush!  Be careful with the contouring powers you choose, I actually regret using this pallet for the simple reason it leans VERY pink on me and when blended looks reddish, use a light hand and stick to building up ideals as much as possible. 

           While indulging in my allowance a few day's ago I decided to be daring and buy a product without knowing ANY information on it, this happened to be The Estee Edit Illuminator in Spotlight!  Off the spot it is VERY creamy to the point of an unusual thickness, however what saves this product happens to be the unique glow it produces.  Not many brands today sell mature and natural looking radiant glows! With that being said, using a pump of the product I gently began disbursing it to my cheekbones with my favorite Sephora Teardrop Highlighting Brush.  I realized I used WAY too much of the product so I continued blending out the illuminator, however with the excess product left on the brush bristles I smudged it down the bridge of my nose, on my cupid's bow, and on my forehead/chin! To set the creamy formula I went into Physicians Formula Translucent Pearl Powder and dusted it right over the area's the cream touched. This was a pain in the ass primarily because I received literally NO GLOW from the powder, perhaps I got a bad batch?  Despite that I literally build up AS MUCH pigment as possible, it didn't give me much of a shine. Right after adding illuminating products to my face I picked up my Makeup Geek Stippling Foundation Brush and gently stippled on Rose Petal blush by Maybelline from the apples of my cheeks up to my hairline!  I highly suggest you guy's stick within the rosy-light pink spectrum of color, it'll help create a balance between the cool grey-subdue coral (lips).


             First off, if you guy's haven't seen my mini Instagram swatching video do so NOWWWWW! It features Bare With Me (the last shade in the video) which happens to of been used in this tutorial.  DO NOT go off of what it looks like in my photo, as said on the Dose of Colors website shades can look different due to resolution or skin tone.  While this shade appears coral in my swatch video it is a milky nude, def a tricky shade but worth it too purchase! After I had the liquid lipstick applied and dried down, I moved along to setting my skin with Makeup Forever's HD Setting Powder.  Any area's I cream highlighted is generally where this powder went, I prefer applying it with my Makeup Geek Stippling Foundation Brush because the round top "pats" the product into the pores thus leaving a clean finish! The last and final step is to use Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray.  Especially if you're planning to wear this as a clubbing look OR special occasion of any sorts makeup look, a setting spray is VERY important!  Be sure to hit all angles of your face (I like to move my head around in circles), DO NOT let anything touch your skin while this spray is drying, the skin is very vulnerable to the point even touching your face could yield product slipping off.  

*Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil, Milk + Black Bean
*Colourpop Super Shock Eyeshadow, Baby T
*KoKo Lashes, Goddess
                       I shall start this off with, yes, I know my eyebrows are completely insane for this look to the point they look drawn on.  This had to be THE WORST brow day ever, like out of ALL bad brow days this topped them all! So if you'd like to hear about how I got fuzz brows read on :).  I truly believe my whole fuzz brow epidemic is due to not plucking in a week, with that being the case I highly suggest you guy's groom your eyebrows prior to application. One of the first things I had done is spoolie through both brows using my Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush, this helps give the brows a specific direction which makes filling them in MUCH easier!  Before getting to the filling in process I first lined my upper and lower brow with two firm strokes, the two lines connected at the tailed of my brow. After getting my ideal shape in tact I THEN went ahead and filled each brow in using light brush strokes!  I gave my brows one last spoolieing to ensure the product disbursed evenly (probably where I flunked up because if you look at the inner part of my brow its smudged and not sharp).  Right after the eyebrows were completed I went right into the priming stage! I first applied Nyx's Milk all over my lid as base shade and smudged it up towards my brow bone and under my lower lash line. I then moved forth in taking Black Bean and smudging it ONLY on the lid.  Make sure you concentrate Black Bean only on the lid, if you smudge it out with your finger's it'll ruin the effect done for the transitional shade!  The "effect" can only be done by taking a fluffy blending brush such as a Mac 224 brush and blending the lid shade up into the crease with light side to side motions.  DO NOT surpass the crease, remember this color is BLACK, unless you want a black eye stick within range loves!

                 Once you have Black Bean smoked out to it's full potential move along to applying S6 to the lid!  To do so I took my Mac 239 brush and proceeded to gently YET firmly patting on the light silver with gold laced reflects. I continued to pack on pigment by working in layers, which for you guys at home means TAKE YOUR TIME!! If you want to get on with the makeup look so bad simply wet the shades and pack on pigment that way, it'll make the process easier going and for a beginner it is much more convenient to manipulate the colors.  Speaking of manipulation, once I had S6 set I then went into S7 with my Mac 217 brush and began firmly blending the color into the inner V of my both my eyes! You might be wondering, "where is the manipulation at Lilz?" Being this color is primarily a shimmer shade, there is way's to go around it, meaning if you blend side to side with circular motions going upwards towards the transitional shade the shimmer particles fade! The most important shade out of this entire look is M7, it is the catalyst for the smokey effects that follow.  To really easy this color in without it being too intense I started off with a very scare amount on my brush, I then applied it to my outer lid area and dragged it inwards following the natural creasing of my eye socket!  I continued to follow this pattern until I received a decent amount of pigment, working in layers is MUCH better because it gives YOU control over your products :).

                           By this point the upper part of your eye's should be very smoked out, if it isn't don't stress it there is always time to go back and blend!  First off, with my Mac 219 Pencil brush I smudged Baby T all throughout my lower lash line, the only area that did not contain this shade is the tear ducts, or inner corners. Virgo's key color is royal blue's so I figured rather incorporating earthy green's it would be nice switch up with intense blue hues! Once I had Baby T packed on to my ideal pigment/sheen, I then picked up a light frosty white/blue from BH Cosmetics Foil Eyes Pallet.  This shade was blended into the inner corners of my eyes and packed on heavily for intense glimmer!  The way you apply your eyeliner for this look is VERY important, it should be your top priority in fact.  I chose Bobbi Browns Gel Liner in Black in for a few reasons, the first being it smudges very easily which is what is most desired for a smokey eye look!  Using my Morphe G11 brush I lined my upper lash line with a thick bold black wing and then took the remaining liner on the brush to my lower lash line.  As you can see from the photo provided above I HEAVILY smudged the shit out of Black Ink, you want to make sure it is under the lower lashes, literally, this way a deep charcoal like effect is produced!  With the liner being so intense you want to make sure your lashes live up to the raised bar as well.  To do so I took my Lancome Hypnose Doll Lash mascara in black and I smudged it across my lower lashes repetitively until I had spiked intense lashes.  I also took the mascara to my upper lashes just to ensure they'd blend in well with KoKo's Goddess Falsies!  The KoKo Goddess falsies are quite similar to the House Of Lashes Iconic, at half the price, I think you guy's should take a look at these babies.  In the meantime make sure the lashes you choose are very dramatic and go from small-large feathery hairs to accent the shadow well, going forth with less dramatic lashed will change the whole "sultry" vibe of this makeup look!
    Change is always a good thing, I haven't done a grey smokey in 4 months total!  If you want to see an everyday version of this makeup look click the link provided here: Gunmetal Grey Smokey Eye. I will be posting my haul video in JUST a few, I apologize for the delay, I think I might change my posting schedule to Monday night's!  Anyhoo have a wonderful week ahead love bunnies, be sure to stay tuned I might hitchcha' with another sticking Spring tutorial, you never know ;).