Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sultry Melted Chocolate Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial


           Woo hoo!  I can finally stop teasing you guys with my new products since in about 2 hours time my haul video will be up and running :)!  For now you will all have to be content with a tutorial, but who cares I spoiled some of the review ;)!  Who's your queen? Mwah. Moving away from my life in color (literally a week of bright blues, greens, and purples) I've decided to take the high road and do a chocolaty sweet smokey eye! I really had the idea of a chocolate covered strawberry as the smoked look, but the Tartlette In Bloom pallet colors turned out more dirt brown...sort of sad to say the least...NOT to mention the fact Funny Girl CRACKED during my intro!  I tried to incorporate as many of my new products possible this way you guys can get a good idea of the application style, pigmentation, and blending potentials.  This smokey eye unlike my others is the most basic and easiest to amp up (I included some glitter liner, ACDC struck me in the store I NEEDED it pronto).  The only thing to watch out for is although the colors appear dirt brown, red tones follow so blue/red lipsticks might not be the best choice :)!  Lastly before describing details, my haul video contains reviews and swatches- clearer swatches along with a thorough review summarizing the video will be included under the "review/swatches/haul" tab!

*Nars Liquid Illuminator, Copacabana 

             My skin has been the absolute worst this week primarily due to stress and me just overworking myself!  Hives are commonly mistaken for acne and the sick part is they even look like acne marks!  I went super light on the face washing and opted in for steaming my skin under hot water for about 6 minutes time, by then my skin was super red so I allowed it to cool down for 2 minutes (might be why in the video I look like a beat LOL).  After the cooling stage I moved onto applying a scarce amount of oil to my skin.  The Fresh Seaberry Oil tends to run on the thicker side leaving me to add water to it- yes I had a whole frantic skin moment with mixing water and oil, go figure.  I applied the watered down oil to my entire face including towards my hairlines and allowed it to set for 6 minutes while I went to setup for the tutorial :)!

           Once I had my set up organized (be prepared for next weeks video, new camera on the way, thanks mom) I moved onto the priming stage!  As many of you know I have become akin to the Natasha Denona Face Glow Primer!  It gives off such a healthy flush and covers imperfections to its fullest power.  With only a finger tip swiped amount, I began to evenly spread the primer from the center of my face out towards my hairline.  This is essentially like applying any oil or moisturizer, it just prolongs and benefits makeup application!  I let this sit for 2 minutes (absorbs super quick), if your primer contains excess oil and you're doing this look on the fly I highly suggest applying in layers!

             I cannot WAIT for you guys to see the ND Face Glow Foundation blended on my hand for the haul video!  This has some serious glow power and differs from any other "radiant" foundation I have tried!  With exactly one pump on the back of my hand and my usual Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush equipped, I gently spread the formula from under my left eye out towards my ear (I work in streaks).  Continuing with the same downward streaking motions, I then expanding out towards my lower jaw line in which I began stippling and patting motions due to extra coverage needed!  The MJ brush collects A TON of product, thus making stippling a breeze for said coverage.  Due to this having radiant properties I allowed this to set for a good 3 minutes.  By the way, cream contouring was added to this tutorial thus the coverage your foundation gives is slim to none on the importance scale, you just need an even base!

           Ahh, did I scare you? Probably not this is my normal face :).  Just like I said in my last blog post use this as a guide NEVER an exact judge of placement, we all have different needs in terms of contouring and highlighting!  Since this is such a glammed up look, cream contouring is ideal as it creates a perfected skin base.  With that being said, using the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer I highlighted my under eye area with upside down triangles (this brings light to the center of your face), followed by single streaks down the bridge of my nose, three lines sprouting on my forehead, and one singular line between my cheek and jaw contour!  Speaking of contouring, I then took Cover Fx's N100 and applied it down the sides of my nose connecting at the tip, as well as in the crease of my eye, on the hollows of my cheeks, and my jaw line with a 219 brush!  By the way, right after the cream highlight I then took Marc Jacobs Re(Marc)able concealer and patted it onto areas needing more coverage, this has more stars than the other products because it is OPTIONAL!  Once all of this was set and placed I then moved onto blending.  By now most of you know I'm a furious blender with little to no chill, thanks to being impatient.  With my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush and large circular+patting motions I "gently" eased the product into my skin.  I tried to show more of me blending minus slow motions to help those who asked HOW I contour (yes a video on my contouring will be coming soon). Its completely up to you if you'd prefer letting the contour creams set!

          When I went to Sephora today and saw the Makeup Forever Pro Sculpting Duo my shoes popped off, talk about gorgeous!  These seem to blend and pick up pigment much better than the pro bronze fusion, despite the bronzer being hard to pick up product due to the cut it's still a better buy! Using a Nars #21 brush, that happens to shed don't ask why I used this I had brush hairs all over my chest, I took the bronze color and gently brushed it from my temples, down the the hollows of my cheeks, and finally down to my jaw line!  This adds warmth back to the skin which is a necessity after contouring... unless you dig the zombie look.  Since I use the pinkish highlight right after the blush I'll describe it then!  With a denser brush made for contouring I popped the dark bronze from Marc Jacobs Filtering Powder kit in the hollows of my cheeks as well as down the sides of my nose, this brings back the depth that might be less noticeably due to the bronzer!

           Becca's Beach Tint has been a total go-to shade for me in the morning!  It gives such a wonderful flush that isn't too overpowering and can easily be built up.  With just my two fingers together, index and ring, I gently patted the coral from the apples of my cheek's up to my hairline.  This tends to have a ton of shimmer so again, I'd like to mention building up product as it creates a sheerer and more matte appearance! 

            Once you have the blush on move on to illuminizing!  The first thing I did was apply a pea-Nars's liquid illuminator to the back of my hand.  Then, with a Sephora Pro Small Teardrop Highlighter Brush  I gently patted and dragged the product on the "C's" of my eyes as well as down the bridge of my nose and on my cupid's bow.  I find using a cream/liquid base best with powders as it forms sticker substances, which allow the powders to last longer and be the most pigmented sort of like the same concept with eyeshadow primer!  Anyhoo, once I had the liquid on, while still drying I took the pink highlight from MUFE Pro Sculpting Duo and brushed it on the same exact area's done previously with the exception of a few dustings on my forehead and chin! 

              Today, I baked like a chicken and felt uber cool doing so. Kidding here, my skin is a wreck and I decided to bake.  Why?  Well, it combats fine lines from the breakouts :).  Using the same Sephora Brush I gently patted on Makeup Forever's HD Setting Powder in large quantities, if you're able to see the white, you're doing it right!  After 15 minutes (my eyes an lips were done by then) I dusted the product off and sprayed on Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray! As far as the lips go, I simply applied Colourpop's Scrooge and set it with Anastasia Beverly Hills Warm Bronze lipgloss using a Mac 239 brush!  By the way, I must say that these Mac brush's are incredible.  Going on a total of 5 years now and they still remain in tiptop shape, bravo Makeup Art Cosmetics!

               The only bunch of things basic here happen to be the brow product, eyeliner, lashes and...thats just about it!  To begin with my brows, that are furring out again, I gently spoolied through
them using an Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush, lined them with the dipbrow and finished up by filling them in!  In my opinion getting the double sided brush is more conventional as with brow products (waxy substances) and glowy skin (moderately oily) it creates a browbath, haha see what I did there? I then moved along to applying the Too Faced Shadow Insurance to my entire lid area spread up to my brow bones, and under my lower lash line.  Definitely NOT my favorite primer, but it did the job I suppose good thing it came with a pallet!

*Tarte Tartelette In Bloom Pallet: Leader, Activist, Smokeshow, Jetsetter
            As said many times in my video tutorial, these colors appear rustic yet when applied they look completely goldish in tone, super odd not to mention they smell like chocolate which is suspicious. The first shade applied to my eyelids was Leader since it defined the entire spectrum of how this look would roll out!  With an Urban Decay Electric Pallet brush I gently patted the color onto my entire lid area with fluent building up motions for optimal pigment.  Then I took Glitterati by Colourpop and once more patted this right in the inner corners of my eye! Be sure Glitterati does not succeed passed the mid lid, if even 1/3 lid, this is meant to bring light to the eyes!  

           All the smoking out action occurs in the crease, which is my favorite part of the eye to work with, so fear not have a few blending brushes at hand!  With any smokey eye you need a transitional shade this way each color blends with ease and has a guide, that color being Jetsetter.  Generally as you move farther towards the outer lid you use fluffier to more dense brushes, in this case I used a Sephora #27 Brush and blended Jetsetter right in following the eye socket.  Be sure to use side to side and slight circular motions until the color is evenly disbursed.  Then, with Activist and a denser brush as mentioned before,  gently blend this color in the inner V with very slight side to side motions, its important to know your eye and follow the crease this way the color will remain concentrated, but smoked out!  Finish up the crease with Smokeshow and a small shader brush! This was applied in the INNER inner V, meaning slightly close to the outer lid if not completely on it. I made sure to really build up pigment with this color and use only side to side motions.

              Drag Smokeshow, Activist and Glitterati down to the lower lash line for a more "oo la la" sexy look.  This defines the eyes more and keeps up with the "smokey eye" effect!  If you want, you can always pop a bright shade on the inner corners or lower lash line, use mine as an example :)

             When lining your eyes pay close attention to neatness!  Many of you know I am a perfectionist however in the case of adding a thin stroke of glitter liner on top, it makes all the difference!  Using Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in Trooper I gave myself a nice medium sized flick and with the shade ACDC I gently applied 4 strokes of glitter liner following the flick shape I drew.  For more definition to my eyes I applied an intense black liner to my waterline.  I didn't show this in the video for the reason being I'd end up stabbing myself in the eye, which would hurt.  Plus many people aren't fond of the waterline thus making it optional! 

           Who knew I'd be using Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara once again.  I figured it'd be best to use the products I just bought rather using my favorites so everyone has a good idea of how each individual product works!  With a few coats of the mascara on both my upper and lower lash lines, I topped it off with House Of Lashes Iconic Lashes!  These are completely dead now, defiantly need to buy them even though I say it in literally EVERY blog post, booh.  Stay tuned for next week once again, my Ocean Blue Smokey Eye will be filmed (was a favorite of many), plus I might throw in a hair tutorial since it has been requested quite a bit :)!  Here are some of the recent requests I have gotten: Contouring video, Ocean Blue Smokey Eye video, how your hair looks PERFECT video (thank you very much), and how to get clean NOT FLAWLESS, clean skin video.  All super great ideas and you guys know I will satisfy.  By the way we finally hit 300 subs, yay!