Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Dragonfly Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial


         HELLO Winter weather, oooh!  This morning cold slashes hit me, it literally was near freezing, and now its sedated- how odd. Today's makeup look was a tropical green "dragonfly" inspired look since just like in New York, tropical forests contain weather that goes from one extreme to another.  Due to you guys reacting super well towards my last step by step pictorial presentation, I decided to follow through and do another!  This time I included multiple steps such as the eyeliner and mascara application, along with a lip close up (I mixed my own lipstick colors).  I think what really strikes me about this look is it fits perfect with just about any occasion; date night out? Gotcha covered.  Perusing the streets on 5th Ave.? You're set.  By the way, I just tried out the Natasha Denona products I received yesterday and OH my goodness! As you can see for the pictures above and to the right, my skin is glowy, clear, and just total perfection.  The products work amazing with my sensitive skin, which is a big bonus since I am acne prone!  I tested out this makeup for 5 hours since I was on YouNow and it tasted all through without one imperfections; gives a nice airbrushed finish! Once again stay tuned on Sunday for two videos, a haul as well as smokey blue tutorial...might even throw in another ;)!

*Nars Liquid Illuminator, Copacabana 


      Life is not always about looking perfect, flawless, or totally not human for that matter.  Today I am reviewing whats below the layers to show just like you guys, I'm only human (I believe thats a song too LOL).  Plus the fact this is a good representation of how my skin looks right after cleansing then applying a primer!  Just like any other morning I began by cleansing my skin gently with a mixture of Murad's Time Release Acne Cleaner+Bobbi Brown's Buffing Grains. I basically scrub my skin for a few minutes under hot steamy water, rinse it off with cool water (tightens the pores back up), then I gently patted my face dry (scrubbed the hell out of dry patches even though its bad; DON'T do this at home).  I finish off with Fresh Seaberry Oil by rubbing it under my eyes, on my chin, on the apples of my cheeks, and slightly on my forehead (excess product).  Always allow your moisturizer/oil to set for a good 10+ minutes, for oils this is stressed more so!  For any of my dry skin buddies I think I have found a great primer for you, aside from Hourglass's N28 which can be rather oily.  Before speaking of the usage, I must say I was not expecting much from the Natasha Denona Face Glow Hydrating Primer, I felt as if nothing could out beat my holy grail HG N28.  Well, I was wrong.  Not only is this creamy on the skin, it visibly absorbs, shrinks pores, and has just the right amount of oil without being excessively prevent!  I took this process step by step, meaning instead of picking out a scoop of product I picked it up as I moved on different zones of my face. This is super layer able too, so if extra moisture is needed go for it!  Be sure to smooth this over every zone of the skin (cheeks, nose, forehead, chin) and blend out towards the hairline.  While I don't want to spoil my review, I will say the product has a super faint scent which is right up my alley, I'm not big on perfumed products!  Allow the primer to set for 3-4 minutes. 

        The foundation is really where the magic happens.  I swear, never in my life have I used a foundation that is so luminous, yet covers SO much with only one tiny pump, simply brilliant.  If you happen to be on the look out for this brand I highly suggest buying from Beautylish.com!  My order came within 2 days plus I got the added bonus of color suggestion, which turned out to be the perfect match (the thoroughly swatch your current foundations next to the ones you're interested in).  Besides my hero worship, I squeezed only one pump to the back of my hand.  This is an odd formula; neither thick or thin, so if it happens to take time to come out of the tube don't stress it!  Anyhoo with the ND Face Glow and my Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush, I gently brushed/patted the product from the center of my face out to my hairline.  I like to start from under my left eye and work section by section, but it's totally up to you!  If extra coverage is needed (there should be enough product left on your hand if you work in light layers, if not add another pump) simply stipple or pat on more product to the desired section.  This is amazing when it comes to building up coverage, plus the fact it gives a wonderful glow that happens to be unaffected by adding more product!  Allow the foundation to set for a good 5 minutes.

          Right after foundation jump into cream contouring!   Everything should be fully covered during this process, I wouldn't stress having a few blemishes or marks showing especially since most cream contouring products are the equivalent of high coverage foundations!  Keep in mind everyone has their own specific contouring and highlighting needs, use my picture as well as description to guide you.  To begin, I used an Urban Decay Naked 3 Brush (the bristles give good leverage with creams, don't ask) and went right into Cover Fx's N10.  I brushed the product under my eyes in upside down triangles that extended towards my hairline, as well as between my cheek and jaw contour (will soon come) and from my forehead down to the tip of my nose.  To finish up the placement process I then flipped the brush to the flat shader side and dipped it into N100.  This product is not typically what lighter skinned people use however it looks best on me (always go by what YOU feel works BEST for YOU).  At any rate, I drew a single line on the hollows of my cheeks, on my jaw line as well as two lines down the sides of my nose that connected at the tip.  For some extra detailing since I was super tired during this morning, I contoured my crease and bottom lip for a more chipper appearance!  To blend the product out use your choice of hands/sponge/brush tools.  I personally prefer using a brush because it gives me the most airbrushed appearance, unlike a sponge brush's do not clog my pores!  To begin blending I took my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush and gently moved the product around from my jaw line up with a variation of circular and stippling motions.  Blend until all harsh lines disappear; if you'd like you can let the contour "set" although I don't do this.

             Right after cream contouring I proceeded onto setting it with a powder!  Generally you should use a bronzer, then any dark powder for the contour followed by a yellow/peach/pink highlight.  For me, I skip the powdered highlight. I feel it dulls my skin out and creates too much of a product buildup (primer-foundation-N10-Highlight-Setting Powder-Spray, way too much)! With my Mac 168 brush and Too Faced Chocolate Matte Bronzer, I brushed the product from my temples down to the hollows of my cheeks and finally to my jaw line.  Since this is matte you can also work on the sides of your nose and use this to set your contour!  Speaking of setting the contour, with the same 168, I took a light amount of the deep bronze shade from Marc Jacob's Filtering Powders' Kit, and wherever I cream contoured the product was place.  With any powders, or liquids for that matter work in layers!  It is much easier to build up than sheer out.

         Another goodie I shall reveal too you guys (even though I shouldn't) is Becca's Beach Tint Shimmer Soufflé in Guava/Moonstone.  This is the most stunning blush I have ever used!  It's long lasting, radiant NOT shimmery, and gives a wonderful flush with and without a brush!  For this one I decided to use my fingers and gently dab the coral from the apples of my cheeks up to my hairline.  This has similar blending abilities to Stila's Watercolor Blush, meaning be careful where you place it!

            Honestly, this is the FUNNEST part of this entire look- screw the shadow.  To begin the glow part start with a liquid illuminator!  It's always best to begin a luminous look with liquids as it acts as a sticky base.  With Nars's liquid illuminator in Copacabana, I took a pea-sized amount onto the back of my hand and with a Sephora Teardrop Highlighting Brush, gently doused the "C's" of my eyes with the product as well as down the bridge of my nose and on my cupids bow.  Excess product was taken onto my chin and forehead!  I set the liquid with Natasha Denona's All Over Face & Body Shimmer using the same Sephora Brush.  On the exact areas I liquid illuminated, this product was applied.  This gives off a very "adult glow", meaning not shimmery just simply glow which I don't say about many products!  Layer this on until you reach your desired highlight :)!


            As many of you know I do my makeup in the order of face, eyes, lips, setting so today I shall share with you what I had done for my lips that is so strikingly different from other days!  First off, this all came about from me being unsure of what lip color to use.  I wasn't quite satisfied with the results I received from ABH's Trust Issues alone so I lightened the color to a marvelous mauve!  Pretty sure there is a color out there identical to this color but there is something so pleasing to the eye about the light pink and purple mending together.  I first applied Trust issues to my entire lips and while it was still wet I then took Milkshake and smudged it right over Trust Issues!  I repeated the smudging process once more and kept the light pink predominately in the center lip area for a gradience!

           Now, you may set your face.  As mentioned above I personally like to set right after everything is completed!  With that being said I took my Sephora #74 brush and gently brushed Makeup Forever's Hd Setting Powder under my eyes, on my forehead, between my jaw and cheek contour and finally on my chin. I then set everything with Urban Decay's All Night Spray :)!



           To begin this super fab look begin with defining your brows!  I opted in for a skinnier brow than my usual primarily because I needed more space to blend out a few crease shades.  How does one do such a thing you might ask?  Well it required me to be SUPER careful when shaving down my brows and plucking- daring, I know.  Watch out stud.  Right after that lovely flirty chat I had with you all and after grooming your brows (if you happened to do so), the first official step is to spoolie through your brows!  I chose my Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush, and after doing so I flipped the brush and began to line and fill my brows.  Be sure to use light and short strokes when filling in the brows to mimic actual brow hair!

                 Once you have your brows in tact move along to priming.  I used two priming bases though you don't have to, I just find the white shadow base adds a stronger support for Dragon (base lid shade).  Starting off with Bobbi Brown's Cream Shadow in Bone, I gently blended it on my lid and up to my brow bone.  Then I smudged on Nyx's Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk to my entire lid area as well as my lower lash line and very slightly blended it in.  You want to make sure Milk remains on the eye socket and doesn't move, the more you blend the less of a strong white base it becomes!

*Urban Decay Vice 3 Pallet: Dragon, Bobby Dazzle 
*Urban Decay Electric Pallet: Freak, Trash, Revolt
*Mac Eyeshadow: Plumage
*Make Geek Eyeshadow Pan(s): Dirty Martini, Corrupt, Pixie Dust 

           Right after you completed the priming and base stage move along to the actual shadow application!  Dragon is a fierce shade but takes time to build up for a shimmery sheen, be sure to work in light layers as this makes for an easier blending stance.  Rather a dense shadow brush I went for a longer and fluffier one, this allowed me to create a "blurred" effect that SLIGHTLY went into the crease.

            Right after applying Dragon move further down to the lower lash line (I like to work the crease last).  The first shade applied is Freak followed by Trash, keep these colors right in the inner corners AVOIDING the tear duct area!  I chose a Smashbox Full Exposure Brush as I felt the fluffy side picked up shimmer particles well.  Be sure that Trash is slightly closer to the tear duct than Freak, it should look gradient!  Then, take the shade Revolt and pop this right in the inner corners!  If you do not clean your brush, or pick up a different one, it will reflect blue/green :)!

    The crease was super easy to  blend surprisingly since each shade fit perfect with one another!  The first color applied is Dirty Martini, as pictured on the left.  With a super fluffy blending brush I eased the color in my crease with large circular motions.  Along the way Dragon got blended in as well which made it lean a slight bit more emerald!  Right after placing the transitional color in move onto the inner V.  For added drama and depth I chose Mac's Plumage (this was a limited edition product, any blue/green works!), and with a Mac 217 Blending Brush, I gently blended the color right in the inner V of my eye following the natural crease of my eye socket.  IF needed you can flick the brush "up" to disburse it into Dirty Martini more.  This is completely optional and was a last minute thing- I also added Corrupt in the inner V with the same Mac 217 to form a smokier look!

              Being Trash was added to the inner corners of my eyes its only fair to pair a reflective shade on the lower lash line as well!  To do this I took a Mac 219 and smudged Peacock on the outer third of my lash line followed by Pixie Dust, in which gradually blended into Revolt :)!  To highlight my brow bones I took Bobby Dazzle and gently placed it right below and slightly in my tear duct on top of Revolt.


       The rest of the magic occurs in the liner and mascara technique, be sure to use fluffy lashes for this, total must!  To sum this up without being too wordy, I gave myself a wing with Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner then with ABH's Creme Liner in Jet lined my waterlines with an Elf Eyeliner Brush!  I highly suggest using a deep black for the water line- it creates mystery and a sense of seductiveness to the entire look!  I went over my KVD liner with the creme as well to intensify a tad more. Then, I gave myself a few coats of Lancome's Hypnose Doll Lash Mascara (awesome side by side, you can really see the difference) and proceeded onto applying my dead lashes. Why "dead"?  Well, one of them is literally in two pieces and the other is cut into 3 by accidental pullings so yes I expect a commandment for pulling it together for this look.

         This should be the final outcome :)!  Just as a little note, Dragon can lean emerald green OR a teal it depends on the lighting!  Also after a full half day of wearing the products, Denona one's in specific, I can tell the review/haul video is going to be great unlike my other reviews.  I'm absolutely obsessed with the Shimmering Powder- as you can see from the photo above I popped it right in the center of my lip for a majestic mauve/gold lip shade.  The best part is I PACKED on the pigment for my cupids bow and from the photo it doesn't look too harsh compared to what many highlights look like when you pack it on, AKA Becca Champagne Pop.