Monday, January 4, 2016

Bronzed Copper Goddess Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial



        Ahh today I shall throw another simple smokey eye atcha'.  A common misconception by people happens to be "copper is part of the bronze spectrum", and it's not!  Copper is such a unique reddish gold that can be PAIRED with bronze, but simply is a different color.  With that being said I believe it is the perfect Winter shadow color for a common smokey eye or just an everyday makeup look!  Paired with this coppery bronzed look I also focused on glowy sun kissed skin for a "bronzed goddess" vibe.  Especially in the winter months when the light is sucked out of you, literally and physically (I miss the sun going down at 7pm) it is important to maintain a healthy complexion!  Wether you do this by regular skin care routines or simple strobing techniques, its a must do!  This look is a slight bit more dressed up than my previous Everyday Makeup Tutorial, however for those a bit more daring its the perfect alternative.  In my last video I actually made mention of my everyday smoked out liner look, this would be it with a Winter twist :)  The lips can be changed as aways, however i'd remain in the pale nude and pale pink spectrum.  I already ventured off using a red/berry color and.... it tends too look harsh against the copper shades (aka vampire Lillee).  
  

*Hourglass Ambient Bronzer- Luminous Bronze Light
*Buxom Lipgloss, Samantha 

         One of the best things you can do for your body, specifically face other than cleansing is sleep, which is exactly what I did.  Literally if I had a picture of my skin from 6AM to 11AM, when I woke up, the difference is significant less redness, and just a clearer complexion.  Upon my awakening I simply patted cold water on my skin then set it with Fresh Seaberry Oil!  Oil's are generally the better pick in the Winter months, but who would't love that? Oil's make your skin "glow from within" which makes it super ideal for this Bronze/Copper goddess look!  I let the oil set for around 10 minutes time.  Just before getting into the priming section- If you're contemplating buying this oil, since I know its in high demand all of a sudden, just go for it.  I happen to have super dry and sensitive skin which is two of the worst conditions to have, this has saved my skin from looking like a scaled monster and has improved it for the long run.  Hands down the best oil and I'm glad I purchased it during the Summer months!

       After your skin has absorbed either an oil or moisturizer of sorts, move along to the priming stage.  Very similar to the application of your moisturizers, smooth this all over your skin starting from the center working out towards the hairline!  I went for Clinique's Superprimer because as  many of you know I am preserving my N28.  Needless to say, depending on the type of primer you use (if it contains oil/if it doesn't) set an allotted time for it to sink into your pores!  Always use a tiny amount also- I used to glob it on and it doesn't benefit the foundation longevity at all it simply wastes product plus clogs pores.

              My normal foundations run rather light in tone other than my Becca Full Coverage Creme, so I decided to use Hourglasses Veil Fluid Foundation.  It might seem rather odd to coordinate your foundation with a look as many people have a staple one, but my skin changes with the times (all the time LOL) which leaves me to use a different formula a day.  With only a pump on the back of my hand and a Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting brush, I gently brushed the formula out towards my hairline starting from the center of my face.  Generally I like to pat the foundation under my left eye and then drag downwards as I move towards my lower jaw area.  The only time I use stippling motions is when I have a super bad breakout but in todays case all of that will be covered with cream contouring!  If you happen to not be a fan of cream contouring (its amazing so screw you), just work in light layers on the foundation to create a depth driven color :)!

       Lets just take moment for some fabulous natural lighting today.  While you guys have said you like my professionally lit photos, nothing beats natural light.  Sadly it has been stormy leaving me to have trouble with taking adequate photos, but fear not this whole week shall be perfect! My contour was rather messy today as instead of highlighting completely I used it to cover my blemishes.  I also took the contour a bit over where I wanted it for a more bronzed effect (the contour shade I use blends out slightly orange).  Anyhoo, with the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer I brushed the product under my eyes in upside down triangles extending out to my hairline, on my forehead down to the tip of my nose, as well as from my left jaw to my chin and finally to my right jaw.  As for a contour I took my usual Cover Fx N100 and with my finger drew two lines down my nose connecting at the tip as well as one line on my cheeks and on my jaw lines!  I personally love blending with brushes, not sponges.  Whenever I use a sponge it yields more product to be used and thats never a good thing! With my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush I gently blended in my contour+highlight with light circular motions, and with occasionally patting NOT stippling motions.  I'm emphasizing the NO stippling motions method because the point is to flawlessly blend to the point it looks like your skin! Stippling does the opposite and builds up product- to sum this up be sure to blend until all harsh lines fade unless you're using the method of a contour set by a foundation on top.

           What better bronzer to use for a smoked out copper look than Hourglasses Ambient Bronzer (no other bronzer)?  It took me a while to configure what bronzer to use as the main purpose is to add warmth to the skin but then I realized any copper/bronze goddess would have glowy skin, and thats exactly what the Hourglass Ambient Bronzer does since it has slightly shimmer particles!  With my  Mac 168 brush I dusted the product from the temples of my face down to the hollows of my cheeks and finally to around my jawline.  This motion is generally recognized as the "Outer 3" of your face but apparently now its the two C's- odd.  Just refer to it as the outer 3 because this is a much simpler concept and sounds better- yes I went there.  If you're using this bronzer as well do not apply it to the sides of your nose, the shimmers will not contour they create an expanded effect!

           Right after bronzing your skin be sure to bring some depth back by powder contouring!  I chose my favorite Marc Jacobs Filtering Powder Pallet and with the same Mac 168 brush used in the previous step, gently brushed the dark bronze color from the hollows of my cheeks down to my jaw line(s).  I avoided my temples primarily because I added A LOT of bronzer there- a darker bronze shade would only make me look like an alien which is not the idea here!  If you'd fancy adding a powder highlight go for it, its just not my style of doing things.

        I belive Mac no longer sells their Mineralized Blush in Uplifting, with that being said any true coral will suit this look!  I brushed the color from the apples of my cheeks up to my hairline with a fluid side to side motion using a Makeup Geek Stippling Foundation Brush. It might seem rather odd to use a stippling foundation brush for a blush, however due to the shimmer particles present it works better in picking them up!  Since the bronzer used is shimmery, I'd also suggest using a shimmery blush it creates a fluency in the gradience of contour (if you happen to not have Uplifting).

            Here is the part where you really have to be on your game- Illuminizing!  Before doing this examine you face under a florescent light to see where the light natural hits (cheek bones, bridge of nose).  While not the usual thing most beauty bloggers tell you to do, if you make the slightest mistake in the application of shimmery product it will either make you look like a disco ball, flatten your features out since more shimmer is prevalent, or highlight the wrong high points under flash lighting!  Similarly to the Mac blush, Makeup Forever's Uplight is no longer sold, besides on the site I linked above.  To compromise this loss choose a light pink dewy highlight color with an extremely sticky base for the next few steps!  Anyhoo, I took a pump of the product onto the back of my hand and gently warmed it in.  Due to this being gel, you have to work quickly so I gently patted this on my cheek bones as well as down the bridge of my nose and on my cupid's bow.  No brushes are necessary for this step!  Rather Becca's Opal which is the typical product used for bronzey looks I opted in for Champagne Pop primarily because it mimics the tones found in copper colors!  Using an Elf Concealer brush I brushed Champagne Pop on the exact gel highlighted areas with the exception of gently dusting my chin and forehead.  Build up the product with light layers until you're satisfied with the glow.  From the image above it exemplifies the glow well! 

      Right after my eyes were completed which took all of 10 minutes, I then applied Buxom's Lipgloss in Samantha with two light layers. In my opinion, the best way to go about this look is with a gloss as it reflects wonderfully off the glowy skin, compared to a flat lip color!  To finish things off I lightly dusted on Beasame's Vanilla powder with a Sephora Teardrop Highlighting Brush and sprayed on Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray.


          For this look in specific make sure your brows are bold and well groomed!  The shadow is going to be blended a tad higher than normal thus making it important to not have stray hairs hanging around.  Just as any other day I spoolied through my brows, lined them to the desired shape and gently filled them in with my Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush!

*ELF Smudge Pot- Brownie Points
        I figured I should get some use out of my smudge pots by Elf since this whole look revolves around smudging so with the color Brownie Points (gorgeous bronze sheen), I took my Smashbox Full Exposure Brush and gently patted to color over my entire lid area.  If needed, you can always slightly smudge the color upwards!  Before moving onto the shadow stage, be sure to have a good bout of blending brushes handy as I avoided putting a second primer over my crease up to the brows.

*Urban Decay Naked Pallet, Smog, Half Baked
*Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pans/ Foiled Eyeshadow: Frappe, Mocha, Flame Thrower 
          Once you have the smudge pot blended in move along to applying the color "Smog" to the entire lid area!  I chose to use the same Smashbox brush because it picked up product extremely well; work in patting motions and build up until you have a decent amount of pigment on the lid.  Take this shade onto the lower lash line as well.  Since I had the Naked pallet out I decided to then take the color Half Baked and gently place it in the inner corners of my eye.  Be sure the shade peaks slightly into Smog and is prominent on the lower lash line!  If you must, only use slight side to side motions to blend color together.

        Right after setting the stage for the next few colors to come I took Flame Thrower by Makeup Geek and with a dense Mac 239 brush gently patted it over the center of my lid.  This color is tricky because if you drag too much no pigment will be released; you may either wet the brush to apply or do as I did and work in layers!  Today I was really sticking to pallet brushes as I find them easier to to whip out- yes I just said that.  To start to crease up I used my Urban Decay Vice 3 brush and blended the color Frappe in with circular motions.  Don't be afraid to build up pigment on this color, the more saturated the better, it helps to build up drama! Speaking of drama, I then placed the shade Mocha in the inner v and dramatically smoked it out under my lower lash line.  With this color I used the same Vice brush but rather circular motions I focused on following the natural crease of my eye socket with side to side motions.

        As a brow and tear duct highlight, I took my finger and gently dabbed Champagne Pop in those areas!  Makes for a very versatile product ;) Also just as a side note I patted Mocha on top of my waterline eyeliner for a more crisp chocolatey effect.

        These smudge sticks are the best eyeliners I've ever used- long wearing, pack a punch in pigment, and smudge easily (only when you want it to)!  I gently line my upper lash line with one fluid stroke, no wing, then smudged the liner on my waterline.  Due to this being a pure bronze I didn't quite get the effect I wanted with my waterline so as mentioned above I gently patted on Mocha which helps the product last longer anyway!

         LASHES ARE SOOOO IMPORTANT- but the natural ones anyway.  No fake lashes for me today!  The best way to go about this look is with natural smokey lashes, adding falsies just doesn't encompass the looks full potential.  Be sure to layer the mascara on (I used two)! To conclude this I'd like to mention that Friday night an Emerald Green smokey eye will be filmed for my YouTube channel as well as my last look since it is highly requested :)!