Friday, December 11, 2015

Shimmery Orchid Makeup Tutorial


         While everyone is going against the flow with silver and blues, why not be more Christmasy and festive by utilizing these gorgeous, and vibrant shadows from Makeup Geek.  Today I went all out with my Makeup Geek products because well, why not unleash your inner flower, even in the Winter.  If you haven't guessed by the title I was inspired by green and purple Orchids!  Orchids are not only one of my favorite flowers, they are effortlessly pretty and appear to seamlessly blend in tone.  As a side note for those skeptical, the best part of this look is there is a frosty aspect given due to the Makeup Geek Foiled Shadows used.  Between you and I, these have superior pigment to my Mac shadows which is saying a lot.  Some of these shadows are not dupable but hey when in Rome have a MUG spree.  At any rate lets get straight to the look!  You can choose to begin with the eyes, or skin, whatever works best for you! 


    As a start I would like to make it a point makeup does not define a person.  Recently I have gotten quite the hate comments variating from, "you wear to much makeup", note the "to" cough cough, and "makeup is gross no guy will want you".  Let's make something very clear, I wear makeup because it is relaxing and a confidence boost to say the least.  SO WHAT if I want to conceal that pimple to make MYSELF feel good?  Does it really make your day better to hate on women because they love the art?  If so proceed on man, hope you like the other layer of highlighter I added because hell, I wanna glow.  

      Moving along from that mildly heated frick you all paragraph, the first thing you should do before any makeup look is cleanse your skin.  This just helps to brighten the complexion, hydrate the skin, and remove impurities!  While I know everyone has their own face routine I tend to alternate mine, so you can move along to the next step if this is you. Being I have been sick I have huge mounds of hives, so today I had only moisturized with Fresh's Seaberry Oil.  My skin is completely dry, its horrible. To prevent further damage I hadn't used ANY cleanser nor an exfoliation system because not only is my skin dry, it burns!!  Allow your skin routines final products to sit on your skin for 4-6 minutes depending on the consistency.

        I encourage you all to use a primer and foundation fit for your skin! Just because some things work for me doesn't mean on another person it will as well.  The benefit to this step despite the difference in product is technique.  For example, to begin the priming process I had chosen my holy grain Hourglass N28 Primer.  I only used one pump, or in my case the equivalent to a pump, and just like a moisturizer spread it evenly across all zones of my face.  I generally start from the center, drag the product out towards my hair line and spread the rest over my nose, chin, and forehead.  

       Ahhh foundation, my life saver today.  I went a bit overboard this time around because as I stated before, I have hives everywhere and dry skin.  The Too Faced Born This Way Foundation saved me however since just like the N28 primer it has moisturizing properties, plus build-able coverage! Using my Marc Jacobs Face II Sculpting Foundation Brush, and two pumps of the foundation (only use one for light coverage) I began by stippling the product on both cheeks.  Make sure you start from the center of the face with any foundation then drag it towards the hairline for the most natural and appealing finish.  Once I had stippled the product onto my cheeks (just to get the product on NO BLENDING was done) I then stippled the rest onto my forehead, and chin.  I tend to lay the product out before blending because it ensures an even amount of product has been applied to each zone of the face.  To physically blend I use light downward strokes and again make sure it fades off to the outer parts of my face.  You should always go for downward strokes to prevent peach fuzz (i love that word by the way, peach fuzz, LOL) being more apparent, plus it looks less streaky.  On areas needing more coverage I simply patted the brush on the blemish, since the brush still contains a decent amount of product smeared throughout the bristles.  



      Once the foundation has been applied and allowed to set for a few minutes move along to contouring!  Literally, everything should be covered by the time cream contouring has been completed, especially if you use concealers.  As you can tell from the picture, and my whack facial expression, it was a jovial moment for me since contouring always gets me giddy.  Anyhoo, with Urban Decay's Naked Skin Concealer in Fair Neutral I applied it from the doe applicator to my under eye area; from my left jaw to my chin to my right jaw; and from my forehead straight down to my nose, with it slightly on my cupids bow!  I like to widen my face more than contour as many of you know so again, this lys in your hands since everyone has a different face shape.  Contouring wise I took my Cover Fx N100 Cream Foundation and with my finger drew two lines down the sides of my nose connecting at the tip; single lines for a cheek contour (just like the face made in the photo suck in your cheeks to find your natural hollow); and single lines drawn from my earlobe down to my jawline!  For an extra effect you could do as I did and contour under your lip and define the cupids bow a bit more. 

     Blending this all in is a breeze, especially with the Makeup Geek Stippling Foundation Brush! Starting from my jawline up I began with light circular motions on the contour.  As I moved up I started to used a variation of circular motions and light patting motions to make sure the blended product looked as natural as natural can be.  Be sure to occasionally wipe off the brush to prevent the color looking flat!  The whole point of contouring is to form definition through shadows and light.  

       After you have blended in the contour move along to bronzing, and no bronzing is not one of those optional steps.  The reason being, after contouring you want to add some warmth back to the skin as well as natural definition.  I chose Bobbi Browns Golden Light bronzer and Elf's Ultimate Blending Brush I blended it from my temples down to the hollows of my cheeks, and finally to my jaw line with large quick circular motions.  Think of it like a spiraling down slinky in a reverse 3, also since it is a matte bronzer I took it to the sides of my nose!  If you're using the matte bronzer as a contour you can skip the next step provided, if not be sure to sheer the bronzer out.  

      To touch up and prolong the cream contour wear I went into my Kat Von D Shade+Light Pallet!  I normally would use my Marc Jacobs Filtering Powders but sadly I lost the product, how?  No idea since it is HUGE.  At any rate using the shade Sombre and a Sephora #74 Blush Contour Brush, I gently picked up the product and tapped it against the pallet.  I like to build up product rather start boldly.  Blend the color to wherever you had cream contoured with small circular motions.  Generally most people enjoy a dramatic contour however I enjoy a super sheered out contour, c'est la vie do what makes you happy.

  The last few steps to the face are super simple and a breeze!  Right after conturing I went into Stila's Watercolor Blush in Water Lily.  I dipped my Elf Ultimate Blending Brush in the container and with super quick stippling motions applied it to the apples of my cheeks moving up towards my temples.  Be sure to either use a sponge or brush you're comfortable with because by hand this product is super sticky and hard to blend!

      Before you freak out on how much shimmer product I had used, hear me out.  To begin I brushed on Benefits High Beam in a C from my brow, to my cheek bones.  With the Makeup Geek Foundation Stippling brush I gently blended this in with upward motions for a lifted face effect.  Then, with my finger I put Incandescent Light from the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Pallet down the bridge of my nose and on my cupids bow.  As a final touch, with the same finger I took Champagne Pop and rubbed it across my cheek bones for added glow.  You might of noticed I avoided highlighting my chin and forehead today, reason being I wanted to draw focus more so to the eyes! When adding any shimmer product always be aware in different lightings you can either look like a disco ball, or just glowy.  I am strongly referring to the Ambient Lighting Pallet because many like myself had a misconception of how glowy the product really is!  The point is to be ethereal, not a disco ball with large visible streaks of glitter.  


        I had applied my setting powder, and setting spray after my lips and eyes were done however I will list some keen details beforehand.  With the Sephora #74 brush I applied a decent amount of the Makeup Forever Hd Setting Powder underneath my eyes, on my forehead, the sides of my nose, on my chin, and between my cheek and jaw line contour.  Then I sprayed Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray over the finished product to freshen the makeup and add on some hours to wear time.  



       I was aiming of thick and dramatic brows today so I really focused on a more defined arch, rather my normal softer arch.  I first spoolied through both brows with my Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush, then with the dip brow lined to my desired shape and gradually filled the brows in with light brush strokes to mimic brow hair.

I highly recommend the Jumbo Eye Pencil by Nyx for this look primarily because it is a white eyeliner thus making shadow more vibrant, and easier to blend.  From the stick itself I drew two dash on each lid, and lined my lower lash line.  Be sure to blend in the product on the lid up to your brow, bur leave the lower lash line as it is.  The shade that will be used there needs a thicker base to be vibrant!  As a finishing touch towards the end of this look I lined my waterline with this product :). 


*Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pans/ Foiled Shadows: Pegasus, Jester, Houdini, Day Dreamer, Peach Smoothie, Shimma Shimma, Masquerade, Corrupt 

As you can tell the effect here was light and airy.  I used no eyeliner, besides the Jumbo Eye Pencil, and relied mostly on the halo eye style for depth so be sure to have a variety of blending brushes at hand.

 Right from the gecko I took care of the lower lash line with the shades Day Dreamer and Masquerade.  With my Mac 219  brush, I gently swirled the brush around in Day Dreamer then from the outer corner of the lash line in, I patted the color right ontop of Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk.  Repeat the patting step until you receive a vibrant light purple following through the outer third of the eye to the tear ducts.  For some added depth I then took Masquerade and blended it into Day Dreamer from the outer third of my lower lash using the same 219 brush.

       Moving along to the lid area, switching to my Mac 239 brush I began to pat the shade Pegasus onto the lid.  Continue to pat the color on until you receive an extremely vibrant and shimmery sheen of turquoise.  We will be going back into this color for the purpose of touching up so if the building up motions is not working or you, fear not, we have hands for a reason.  

     With a clean 219 brush I then took the color Jester and applied it to my inner lid area and out lid area.  For this you can use a variety of motions as long as there is a green on on end of the stick, and the the other end.  Jester is not necessary an important shade to this look however it allows Houdini and Corrupt to effortlessly blend together in a gradual gradience. For a Halo eye just remind your self that there is darker color in the crease and well as tear duct and a bright color centered! Once you have blended, or perhaps patted Jester in proceed to the same motions with Houdini.  Right on top of Jester, yet not completely covering the shade, blend Houdini it the inner lid area as well as in the crease.   Finally, for a touch of darkness, with Corrupt lightly dust over Houdini with short and quick strokes.  Similar to the other shades make sure this is an inch away from the previous color and keep buildup of Corrupt extremely minimum since the purpose of this tutorial is to resemble Orchids. 

    To finish off the crease I took the shade Peach Smoothie and with the blending brush side of my ABH Self Made Pallet Brush, blended it right into the crease area. As you do this be aware of the darker shades presented in this look, those will generally be swept up as well and blended out further; be sure to maintain the Halo eye shape!  As a final touch to the entire eye take the shade Shimma Shimma with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and dust it across the eyebrow and with your ring finger apply  a small amount to the inner corners of your eyes.  

Before adding lashes, or mascara, at this point you should go back to any colors that need touching up and with your fingers pat the color(s) on, this makes for more extreme pigment than with a brush itself.  

*Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes, Black

As you noticed I skipped eyeliner all together today, besides lining my waterline area.  This makes it much easier to see the halo eye effect, plus IS MUCH easier than lining the entire eye, lets be honest.  So, I went through my lashes with Lancomes's Hypnose Doll Lashes and applied my favorite House Of Lashes Iconic :)!

Ooo! To the right is what my inspiration was.  I wanted to mimic the dark green hues as well as the punchy purples hitting off the pure white petals.  While my look leaned slightly more teal and lighter in the purple shade, the point is everyone has their own view point on a look.  Perhaps instead of using Jester by Makeup Geek you'll opt in for Pixie Dust  which happens to be a light shimmery lime green.  The only issue with switching up the base shade is the outcome will not be as gradual because the regular shadow pans have a different shadow texture than the foiled shadows. You could also take Masquerade and drag it right across the lower lash line for a deep purple, all depends on you and what you'd prefer most :)  If you happen to recreate this, let me know!  You can always send me an email from the left side column of my blog or from the email itself: thaeyeballqueen@gmail.com.