Sunday, December 20, 2015

Shimmery Mistletoe Holiday Makeup Tutorial


    With the holidays quick approaching I am officially in my zone. You might be thinking to yourself "what zone...", well in Lillee land this means every makeup look from this point forward is going to be extremely festive, or super versatile!  The main focuses on todays look dewiness and shimmer, so be sure to pop out any green and yellow pigments you have handy. One of the best parts about this look is despite the green and yellow shades used, they works wonderful with bright coral lipsticks, and even deep burgundies.

   Sadly, I was not having a good selfie day so all I have photographed is a light pink lip with much of the focus on the eyes!  This is perfect for the holidays primarily because you will glimmer at every angle, thus people will see you from afar, glasses or no glasses.  Plus the fact I ensured this would stay on SO WELL that it lasted a total of six hours for me.  If you experiment with other lip colors let me know, I'd love to see a recreation of this!  Also as a side note if you guys happen to have requests for looks do tell!  On the side of my blog I have a feature that instantly emails me, so put it to good use.




*Bobbi Brown Bronzer, Golden Light
*Nars Multiple Stick, Copacabana

          Its always a good idea to cleanse and exfoliate your skin first before moving forward to priming!  Unfortunately I skipped this step and just opted in for moisturizing due to my skin being dry and overly sensitive at the moment.  Keep in mind over washing your face is just as bad as not cleaning it at all, do what feels best for you!  I promptly woke up and squeezed a full beaker amount of Fresh's Seaberry Oil into the palm of my hand and starting from the center of my face extended it out towards my hairline.  Depending on your skin routine, or if you're following my lead, allow your moisturizer to set for a good 3-4 minutes!

            Moving along to priming the skin, I decided to go for a primer I literally never use, Murad's Invisiblur Perfecting Shield.  It came with a Sephora VIB Gift set last Summer and it just never quite caught my eye, until now!  I squeezed about three tiny pumps full out onto my hand then rubbed both together.  Just like with moisturizer apply from the center of the the face and spread outwards towards the hairline.  All zones of the face should be covered as this allows the makeup to blend with ease and last longer!  I must say after using this it does weigh my skin down slightly, and isn't the most desirable formulation.  At any rate, allow the primer to set and sink into your pores.

        One of the best foundation's on the market, in my opinion, is Too Faced Born This Way Foundation.  It has amazing coverage, photographs well, and gives a lit within appearance.  Enough of me bragging though! I squeezed only one pump onto the back of my hand and with an Elf Ultimate Blending Brush went right into the product.  Starting from my left cheek I began to stipple on the product simultaneously with in between downward strokes to blend it in.  I followed the same motion on my right cheek then dragged any excess product on to my forehead, as well as chin.  Generally you should begin from the center of your face and work outwards, but I do things a littttttle different!  As said in the introductory paragraph, do what feels best and what you're most comfortable with.

         I highly suggest doing a cream contour set by a powder contour, especially if you'd like your holiday look to last a long time, and look as if it was professionally done!  I used a total of three products to contour those being Urban Decay's Naked Skin Concealer, Cover Fx's Cream Foundation, and Marc Jacobs #instamarc Filtering Powders! In between this mix you should incorporate a bronzer to add more depth, and glow to the skin.  To highlight my face I took the Naked Skin Concealer and created two upside down triangles under both eyes, one straight line down from my forehead to my nose and to my chin, and finally one line from my left jaw to my chin to my right jaw.  By the way, I used my fingers for placement because my brushes are absolutely filthy!  As far as contouring goes I drew a line extending from my natural hollowing from my cheeks, then two straight lines down the sides of my nose.  Some people like to contour their temples, so be my guest to do so!

              After placing the product on areas you want to highlight and contour chose either blending brush, your fingers, or a sponge to blend!  I like to start from my jaw line up on both sides then take care of the center of my face.  For today I opted in for the same Elf Ultimate Blending BrushWith light circular motions I spiraled up towards my under eye area and began to use stippling motions to create a fluency in color depth.  Repeat this motion on both sides then, as you reach the center of your face begin the same spiraling up motions following the natural curvature of your bone structure! If you're using a brush you should occasionally wipe it off on a paper towel to ensure the two opposite colors remain opposites and don't full blend creating a new skin tone.

      For some color back to the skin after cream contouring proceed to bronzing.  I used Bobbi Brown's Matte Bronzer in Golden Light with a Mac 168 brush! Starting from your temples and small circular motions, blend the product down to the hollows of your cheeks and finally down to your jaw line.  As described in my last blog post, this is known as the reverse "3" since your temples and jaw are the outline of your face and the inside is your cheeks!  From this point you could move along to blushing but I furthered my contour with MJ Filtering Powders!  Using the same brush I lightly dusted the sides of my nose and following the natural hollowing of my cheeks re-contoured.   I am not a huge fan on powder highlight so this is completely up to you and your preference :)!

       Ahh Hourglass's Ambient Lighting Blush, brings back memories.  I literally bashed this in a review and said it was comparable to other drugstore blushes.  After using it now a few times it is not quite drugstore quality as the pigment is AMAZING, it's just an iffy product for me and takes time to get used to sort of like Hourglass's Ambient Powder pallet!  Anyways, with a clean Mac 168 brush, I gave a sweet smile and from the apples of my cheeks blended the shade Radiant Magenta out towards my hairline.  The good thing about pigmented blushes is they create a gradience, thus a more contoured look!

      Its the holidays, so even if you hate glowing, you must glow.  The difference here is I am not saying glow like a discoball, when you simply glow it refers to finely milled shimmer that acts as a luminous highlight to certain parts of the face!  To begin the process I first brushed my Sephora Multi-Tasker Powder Brush over Nars Multiple Stick in Copacabana.  Then, I promptly patted and blended it on the C's on my eyes (from my brow bone to my cheekbones extended diagonally to my nose), down the bridge of my nose, and slightly on my cupids bow.  For added warmth I went into Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal and with an Elf Concealer brush dusted it right over the areas I originally luminized.

         If you want a completely flawless look you should go for the baking method which consists of applying tons of setting powder to the under eye area, the forehead, and between the jaw and cheek highlight.  I instead set my skin as a finishing step by simply dusting MUFE HD Setting Powder over those exact zones with a Sephora #74 brush.  I finished off with spraying on Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray. This just revitalizes the entire look and lessens the "powdery" effect given from tons of layers.  


*ABH Dipbrow Pomade, Caramel
     Once you have finished your skin off, or perhaps are baking, move onto doing the brows!  I went from my usual ABH Dipbrow in Caramel and first began by spoolieing through each eyebrow with a #12 ABH brush.  Then, I dipped into the pomade and lined my eyebrows to my desired shape and filled them in with light brush strokes to mimic real brow hair.  Be sure to spoolie through once more so the product blends in!

           With a clean flat shader brush dip into the paint pot and disburse the product onto the entire lid area. With a clean finger simply drag the base upwards towards your brow bone as well as underneath your lower lash line.  Any primer will do however since this incorporated super shimmery shades I wanted to mimic that with the pale beige presented in Soft Ochre.  

*Makeup Geek Shadows- Lemon Drop, Dirty MartiniCorrupt
*Anastasia Beverly Hills Self-Made Eyeshadow Pallet- Sherbert, Buttery, Hot Chocolate, Isla
*Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadows- Mint SodaGoldilux

       The first thing that should be done right after priming the eyes, is applying the shade Lemon Drop to the entire lid area.  With Mac 239 brush, I patted the shimmery yellow all over the lid and built up pigment until I was satisfied with the shade.  While this color is simply a base for the pigments to come, building up intensity just allows you to use less of the pigment thus less fallout and less of a hassle later on.  Be sure to smudge this underneath the lash line as well.

          After you have applied your base color move onto the crease!  With Anastasia Beverly Hills Self-Made Pallet brush, specifically the blending brush side, I went into the color Sherbert.  This is honestly the most perfect transitional shade for this look because it is not too coral and is not too sandy in tone.  Blending from the outer lid, use circular motions and evenly disburse the shade around Lemon Drop.  If it helps, blend from the lower lash line up and around for a guide on the shape.  
       
        Once you have the transitional shade in place take a denser crease brush, I used Mac's 217 Blending Brush, and go into Hot Chocolate.  Instead of large motions you will want to concentrate this shade directly in the inner V of your eye.  To do this I began by patting on the color, then with tiny circular and side to side motions worked the shade in until it was fully blended.   Before moving forward to doing the lids, using the same 217 brush go into Makeup Geeks Corrupt and gently place it on the inner V with slight side to side motions.  This will create more depth for the following shades that will be placed on top.

            By this point you should have a bubble bee effect going on, which is the point.  The deep black allows the shade Dirty Martini to transform to a forrest green!  Just before adding Dirty Martini however, dip your finger into the shade Isla and pat it on the middle of the lid.  If you must, you can use a brush to gently blend it into Lemon Drop.  Once Isla is placed you may now go into Dirty Martini!  With a Mac 219 I smudged it right in the inner V, closer to the lash line than Corrupt, and while following my natural crease created more depth and a gradience. 

            Moving onward to the pigments, I began by opening up Mint Soda and smudging it right into Lemon Drop on my lower lash line.  You want to keep a gradience present so only drag the shade in halfway. I had used the backside of Smashbox's Full Exposure Brush, any dense smudging brush will do!  Before closing the container, be sure to pat Mint Soda onto Isla and then blend with side to side motions.  Next, go into Goldilux!  I really did not focus on this much as it leans extremely gold, but it added some shimmer to the look so I went for it.  I gently patted it onto Lemon Drop then from the inner third of my lid, I smudged it under my lower lash line and slightly blended it into Mint Soda.  

         The finishing touches involve taking the shade Buttery and highlighting the brow bones, as well as inner corners of the eyes!

      Line the waterline of your eyes with Stilas Smudge Stick in Jade.  While I didn't opt in for lining my upper lash line with this, you can do so for a more smoked out look!  As a side note this stuff lasts a long amount of time and does not budge on the waterline, and for me thats huge because I have watery eyes.  As far as the upper lash line goes I lightly lined it with Limecrime's Liquid Liner and did a slight flick on the outer corners!