Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Glittery Holiday Lights Makeup Tutorial


        If you love glitter just as much as I do, completing this look will not only be a blast but therapeutic in its own way. This will be extremely messy as glitter is loose, but if you're one who loves to rock dramatic eyes, especially for the Holidays, this is completely worth it!  While I was doing this look I had the concept of "Christmas Mood Lights" in my mind which may seem odd to some, but for me it makes perfect sense.  How so?  Well, the glitter is multidimensional and not to mention very cheap, also the burgundies in the crease act as that "mood" light as it contrasts against the glitter.  Not to mention the fact I also had changed up the game on my eyeliner doing an Egyptian styled eye.  I highly suggest using false lashes for this as the glitter can hide your natural ones making this not so hot of a look.  Also when you're choosing a lipstick make sure it has extremely rosy tones to it as I noticed nudes don't work so well with this.  By the way, I had done my eyes first but I will present it in the manner of doing my face first as it is my normal format!

*Nars Liquid Illuminator, Copacabana 
*Bareminers Mineral Veil, Mineral Veil


          Just like any other one of my looks I began by cleansing and moisturizing!  If you're doing the order I have chosen for today moisturizing with an oil product is extremely important.  At any rate, I began my morning routine with Fresh's Rose Mask to add hydration back to my wintery dry skin.  After allowing this to sink in my pores for 6 minutes I then washed it off with warm water and applied one beaker full of Fresh's Seaberry Oil all over my skin.  Since this is an oil it requires a longer time to sink in the pores so instead of applying primer as the next step I actually moved along to doing my eyebrows.  However, for the sake of order I will proceed to the steps I had done in specific to the face.

        By the time I had done my eyebrows I moved along to priming my skin with Clinique's Superprimer Face Primer.  I have never used this and it remained just but a sample in my primer box, but it actually preformed extremely well with my skin!  With only a little over a pea-sized amount, I rubbed my hands together and just like a moisturizer applied to all zones of my face.  Be sure to start from the center and work out towards the hairline! 
 (While you allow the primer to set into your skin by this point you should be back to the eyes applying shadow)

             My skin isn't the best however it is relatively decent at the moment so I went for the sheerer coverage of foundations I have, which happens to be Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Gobi!   Be sure you have either a mixing tray to applying the foundation with or just the back of your hand.  I say tray for this specific foundation because it is SUPER runny, meaning if you tip your hand over say bye bye to $45.00 worth of foundation.  At any rate try your best to drip out only a dime sized amount of foundation, and for an extra glow mix the Nars Sheer Glow with a tiny amount of Nars's Illuminator.  With a sturdy Elf Ultimate Blending Brush carefully mix the two combinations together  then from your left cheek, more so towards the center of your face,  begin to stipple on the product.  Follow this stippling method on all zones of the face then return once more to buff out the edges with small circular motions!  Be sure to NOT apply an overload of foundation because with this one in specific you will be a streaky mess.  It's best to start with a sheer layer and work your way up! 
(Move back to the eyes and apply the glitter.  After the glitter is applied finish up the skin!)

            It might seem rather odd for me to highlight with an exact skin tone concealer however for this moment it worked because I was lacking coverage on recovering broken out areas, which happened to be my full cheek so the full coverage did its job to cover the large areas.  I highlight suggest using a highlight color a few shades lighter- just follow the technique of what I had done contouring wise.  To begin I squeezed out a pea-sized amount of Makeup Forevers Full Coverage Concealer onto the back of my hand.  With the flip-side of Urban Decays Naked 2 Brush (pointed side), I warmed up the product on the back of my hand with spreading it out a bit then applied it to my under eye areas extending down to those broken out places with upside down triangles.  Then, I took the concealer color up from the tip of my nose to my forehead extending out in three lines to cover all areas. With the same side go into Cover Fx's Total Coverage Cream Foundation and draw two lines down the sides of your nose connecting at the tip.  I did not do a cheek contour, I only slightly drew lines following my natural jaw line for depth.  Blending the concealer out was NOT so easy since its meant for spot correction.  However I added some of my Seaberry Oil to the brush then went straight to blending!  The oiled property allowed the thick cream to soften up tremendously.  With the same Elf Ultimate Blending Brush that was used for foundation purposes; I began by starting from my jaw line up using circular and patting motions.  When your work your way up to the under eye areas be sure to use both patting, and stippling motions to be sure the product stays still and vibrant.  Use the same circular and patting motions all over the face, and since you have the advantage of oil today on areas still needing that coverage simply pat the brush a few times and optimal pigment will be received.   

             The setting of the contour was sealed by Too Faced Matte Chocolate Soleil Bronzer.  This is matte therefore it is fine to contour with, however results will not be as dramatic as an actual contouring powder since this has warm notes with no trace of taupe.  To begin I grabbed my Tarte Swirl Powder Contour and Bronzing Brush and from my jaw line brushed up to the hollows of my cheeks, then brushed up to my temples the product was applied.  You can also flip the brush to its side and "contour" the sides of your nose.  I couldn't resist having at-least some natural shadowing so I went right into my Marc Jacobs #instamarc Light Filtering Contour Powder and with the darker shade from the pallet and the Tarte Brush, I lightly swept it under the hollows of my cheeks and strictly on the sides of my nose since a bronze contour isn't the most natural appearance.  Blend until harsh lines disappear.

  I kept the blush very subdue and glowy!  With Nyx's Rogue Cream Blush in Boho Chic and Sephora's #45 Brush, I stippled it across the apples of my cheeks moving up towards my hairline.  With any blush if you prefer a more contoured look, be sure to always drag it back to your hairline as random spots of bright blush looks bizarre.  Next, with Sephora's Teardrop Highlighting Brush I went into Bobbi Browns Shimmer Brick!  Tipping the brush to its side I added a gorgeous pink glow to the C's of my eyes (from your brow to the cheekbones), down the bridge of my nose, and slightly on my cupids bow!

       I had chosen two setting powders only because I added so much highlight I needed to tone it down.   So, with Laura Merciers Translucent Loose Setting Powder and Sephoras #74 Brush I patted it under my eyes extending out towards my hair line, on my chin, and on my forehead. At this point all zones were completely matte but for a nice touch of reflectiveness for the camera I gently patted Bare Miners Mineral Veil right on the under eye area, and forehead.  After the setting powders are on move back to the eyes, and once that is complete spritz on a few pumps of Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray. 

      Right after you have cleansed and moisturized your skin move along to the brows as the oil sets in!  I went for my normal dipbrow in Caramel and with Anastasia Beverly Hills #12 brush began by spooleying through each eyebrow.  After I had done that, I moved along to lining both brows and filling them in with light brush strokes to mimic actual brow hair.  As a side note, if you have any oil on your eyes wipe it off because this effects the application of brow products, and primer to come! 

     Right after the brows take Nyx's Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk and apply it from the stick to your entire lid area.  Then, with a clean finger or brush, blend the product up to your brow bones and if you have remaining product drag it under the eye.  This process is really just for the pigment of the base shades because the glitter need its own base!

*Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan's/ Foiled Eyeshadow: Showtime, Drama Queen, Shimma Shimma
*Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyeshadow(s): Rosette, Blanc
*Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons Pallet: Almond Truffle, Bordeaux, Dark Truffle, Satin Sheets
*Wet N' Wild Megasparkle Confetti, Pink Sugar 774B
      Before you get overwhelmed the shadows used are practical, and in the end correlates to not as many as you might think!  With any flat shader brush (I went for ABH's Self-Made Pallet Brush) go right into the color "Showtime".  Pat this all over the entire lid area until you receive the pigment you'd like.  Then, with the same brush go into Rosette and lightly pat this on the inner third of your lids going out towards the outer third.  For this specific method I'd suggest either mixing the two together then applying, or do as I did with applying two separate layers for a unique sheen. 

         Once you have a basis for the eyelids flip over your brush, if you're using a double sided like me, or switch to a fluffy blending brush.  Go into the color Almond Truffle and with large circular motions, avoiding reaching the brow bone, add this mauve sheen to the crease. You can build up pigment with this if you want a more dramatic and defined crease!  Once Almond Truffle is blended in use this as a transitional shade, and a guide for the following crease shades to come.  To start building up drama mix the colors Bordeaux and Dark Truffle together.  I switched to a Mac 217 Blending Brush so these two colors can be concentrated in the inner V.  Tap off any excess product as when working with darker shades layers of color is the best method.  Begin by patting the shade on the outer third of the lid and then by following the natural creasing of your eye socket use side to side motions to ease the color in.  Blur out un-soft edges with very slight small circular motions!  With the same 217 brush pick up a very light amount of Makeup Geek's Drama Queen and with the same pat and blur method ease this into the inner V for some added depth!

     Switching back to the flat shader brush take the color Satin Sheets and add this to the inner corners of your eyes.  I built up pigment on this just because in different lights this may look like a light gold, or a sandy pink thus making it perfect with the pink glitter used!  As far as a brow highlight goes mix Blanc and Shimma Shimma together and dust it under your brow bones, and slightly brush it in the tear duct area. 

        By this point the shadow is complete now its up to adding the glitter!  With any glitter you need a bonding glue, wether it be lash glue or any bonding shadow primer its a necessity.  This allows the glitter to remain in place all day and also allows one to pack up pigment more.  So, I squeezed a small amount of the glitter glue on the back of my hand and slightly warmed it up with spreading it out.  Then, I patted it on my entire lid area (not near the crease), and smudged a thick line right under my lower lash line.  With Wet N' Wilds Megasparkle Confetti I then began to pat it on with my ring finger.  Using a brush offers more control however the result is not always as good since using a finger allows you to slightly blend.  Continue to build up the glitter color until you receive you perfect glimmer.  Once the upper lid is complete move to the lower lash line.  Here is no different, you should use the same patting motions and building up technique!  This has literally NO fall out for me which is amazing for the price.  Be sure to check your local drugstores because this has been available for close to 4 years, however for some reason I cannot find it online, sorry for no link!

            The eyeliner was very different for me as I never do this style, however I felt it fit perfect with the whole "mood lighting" effect and went for it!  With Anastasia's #12 brush and Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Liner I gave myself a basic wing and the lined my waterline slightly smudging it onto the glitter.  After doing that I connected the upper and lower lash lines together at my tear ducts.  The only complaint I'd have with a style like this, especially with watery eyes is it will be messed up within a few hours, so beware and pack a touch up mirror!

       While House Of Lashes Iconic already features super thick lashes, mine happened to break.  With the breakage I also had no other accompanying right eye pairs so I doubled it up with Ardell's Wispie for a dramatic full lash effect on scarce areas.