Thursday, November 26, 2015

Smokey Plum Makeup Tutorial



     Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)!  Today's look has been inspired mainly from the new Anastasia Beverly Hills Self-Made Eyeshadow Pallet.  It retails for $35.00 and defiantly packs a punch in pigment.  When I first received this I admit, I was SUPER excited that Pink Champagne was included, since I use it in almost all my makeup looks!  Today however, the shade that started this inspiration off is Deep Purple.  It has such rich purple tones and is true to color.  I also was intrigued by the color Sherbet because it has a perfect balance between peach and sandy colorings. 

      I have done a video tutorial on this, but my camera blurred out me doing my eyeliner, putting on my lashes, and setting my face so I will explain what occurred with an in depth description, just so everything is expressed clearly.

    Also, if you guys ever recreate one of my looks let me know!  I love seeing the different perspectives and creativity added to my groundwork of a look.  You can always email me at thaeyeballqueen@gmail.com for questions as well don't be shy (:!

*Givenchy Healthy Glow Powder, #4 Bronzed Light Brown
*Hourglass Ambient Lighting Pallet, Incandescent Light, Dim Light

    Normally my explanations are rather concise but you will notice today it is lengthy.  A few of these products I have gown on such as the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Pallet, and Hourglass's N28 Primer, so be prepared to have a full blown description of why.  

  I honestly did not wash my face at ALL for this look I simply woke up, brushed my teeth, and applied a light oil, specifically Josie Maran Light Oil.  This stuff glides right on and is not as thick as my normal Fresh Seaberry, thus making it ideal for before Makeup Applications.  When putting on the oil make sure you cover all areas of your face, including the neck and allow it to dry for about two minutes!

        Once the oil has set go ahead and smooth on your favorite primer.  Today I had used my regular N28 by Hourglass and applied it to all zones of my face.  I used to absolutely hate the Hourglass N28 primer!  At the time my skin was broken out everywhere, when unbeknownst to me it was from my hormones flying rapid.  So, when I used it for the first time in July I was ANTI N28, I thought It had made me break out ten times worse and just was an awful product.  Then, a few months ago my skin was starting to get super patchy and just fifty shades of yuck.  I used the primer and fell IN LOVE.  Sometimes, the circumstance you're in blurs the full picture of what is occurring. 

   Moving along, since the primer I used is super hydrating I wanted to allow it to sink into my pores.  While waiting around three to four minutes I started to mix my foundation with a lluminizer.  I really
need to buy a pump for my Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, the design of the bottle is a pain in the butt especially since the Sheer Glow Foundation is rather runny.  What I had done during my mixing is applied a penny sized amount on my hand, then keeping my hand wide open, I squeezed some of the Elf Shimmering Facial Whip in. Doing this method makes the application of my foundations much easier to apply and less streaky, especially with the Elf Shimmering Facial Whip because it is tacky in texture.

        By the the time you have mixed the combination of foundation and lluminizer, you should be able to move onto the application part.  In the video I provided an example of how I first apply the foundation, which happens to be with patting motions on my chin, and both cheeks. I prefer the Marc Jacobs Face II brush over any other brush, including stippling brushes because it follows the natural curves of the face and picks up a lot of product.  Anyhoo moving along from that information, after the patting motions were completed I started to blend the foundation out from the center of my face out toward my hair line.  Any product left over was patted, then brushed gently over my forehead, and nose.  


          Next up is my ALL TIME favorite thing to do, contour!  Though I am not quite sure if I fancy the blending more, I defiantly love the way the use of two shades can transform a person's looks.  The brush I used throughout the application of Highlighting and Contouring is a Sephora #77.  This is another product I had mixed reviews on because it is advertised to blend contour out flawlessly, which it fails to do. Instead, I took the product into my own hands and used it to apply the cream products which it does a superior job to any other concealer brush, or finger.  

      Getting back on topic, I used the side curves of the brush and applied ABH Banana to my underage area, on my forehead, between my cheek and jaw contour, and on my chin.  I like to begin with placing my highlight because for the nose+chin+forehead in specific I like to create a huge line going straight down.  On my forehead I created a \|/ shape, then from the intersection point I dragged it straight down my nose, onto my cupids bow, down both lips, and finally on my chin.  From my chin, I picked up more of the product and dragged the shade to the areas between my jaw and cheek.  After that I created two upside down triangles extended out to my hairline for a more awakened effect.

      After you have placed on the highlight move along to the cream contour.  I used Cover Fx N100 because it doesn't blend out orange for me and is a creamy dream.  Basically, I contoured any areas I'd like to shrink or make the illusion of them appearing thinner.  These areas happen to my the sides of my nose, the hollows of my cheeks, and my jaw line. Everyone has a different face shape and sometimes I takes trial and error to figure out what works, so don't be discouraged if you mess up on this part :)!  For example, I used to contour my temples and honestly it made me look like a shrunken Alien.  All depends on the person, and the face shape!  Many people like to use the BeautyBlender for blending purposes and for me, especially with fresh acne, it is a no go and sheers the product's out way too much.  So, instead of the BeautyBlender I use my $6.00 Elf Ultimate Blending Brush that does a spiffy job.  I simply use circular motions and occasionally wipe the brush off with a paper towel.   There is no exact method for blending, some people like to use stippling motions, others like to use patting motions.   For me, once I reach my eye area I like to drag the product down then blend it in slightly and continue to work my way up.

    I actually had forgotten to tell you guys, but I recently purchased Givenchy's Healthy Glow Powder in Bronzed Light Brown!  It gives a wonderful hint of color without being too overdone and lasts hours, upon hours on end.  For this, I used my Nars #21 brush and swept it along the sides of my face, and sides of my nose to add color back to my face.  I followed a reverse 3 (temples, hollows of cheeks, and jaw) image to evenly disburse the product.  

     Switching to my Tarte Swirl Powder Brush, I went ahead and contoured with the Marc Jacobs Filtering Powders.   I first started off with the contour rather highlight since in the powder world, the darker shades overpower lighter ones!  To contour, I brushed on the product to the hollows of my cheeks, the sides of my nose, and my jaw line.  Then, I flipped the brush so it faced vertically and brushed the yellow powder on my chin, in-between my jaw and cheek contour, under both eyes (I began from the side of my nose and swept it in one motions up toward my hair line), and on my forehead brushing down toward the bridge of my nose (I blended the brush side to side). 

   Once the contouring is complete everything else flies by! I rarely use my Ingot Cream Blushes which is odd because...they're great, really.  Here is where I stippled on the product, even thought I am not fond of the motion.  Using my Sephora #45 brush I first stippled on the blush to each side of my face (on the cheeks though, duh).  Then in fast circular motions I blended the product right on-top of my cheeks slightly moving up to the sides of my cheekbones to create more depth. 

       The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Pallet has to be one of the most misunderstood products I have bought!  To be fair, the powder I originally bought was too dark for me and had no sheen to it at all! Once I bought the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Pallet I fell in love with Incandescent Light!  It is super glowy and brightens everything up!  

I used Dim light for my chin and the area between my jaw and cheek contour, then I swept Incandescent Light onto the bridge of my nose, on my forehead, cupids bow, and on my cheek bones with a Mac 159 brush.  As you can see from the image taken from my recent video, I a; make weird faced and b; make sure to extend the color so it is adjacent to the center of my eyes!  This helps create the lightened effect and 3 dimensional glow!

        I set my face with Makeup Forever's HD Finishing Powder right after I applied eyeliner.  I simply patted the powder onto my T-zone, under my eyes, on my chin, and on my forehead with the Nars #21 brush.  I allowed this to sit for a few minutes while I went along to do my lashes and lips.  After doing so I blended it in with the same brush and sprayed on Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray! 





     Yes, I by accident shaved off half of my eyebrow.  Always a pleasant thing to do.  Despite this I still had some brow wowness going on.  I first spoolied through each brow with an ABH #12 brush then going into the dip brow lined my brows first for my desired shape.  Then, I went ahead and filled the brow in with one more spoolieing.

*Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil, Strawberry Milk


   I used Strawberry milk as my base shade since the look contained lots of pinks, and purples.  I rubbed the color onto my lid and then blended upwards.  Be sure to keep the shade right in the lid area otherwise it changes the pigmentation of the other shades slightly. 

*Anastasia Beverly Hills Self-Made Eyeshadow Pallet, Blossom, Sherbert, Pink Champagne, Metallic Plum, Spirit Rock, Deep Purple
*Makeup Geek Single Eyeshadow Pan, Corrupt

    The first step to completing this look is patting on Blossom to the entire lid area.  I actually used the brush that came with the pallet since the blending brush side drew me in immediately.  Be sure to pat on the color until you reach your desired sheen, I opted in for a supper glowy effect, however it does not matter because this will be overruled with Pink Champagne.


   Next, pat Pink Champagne onto Blossom dragging the color into the inner V.  This has a lot of pigment in terms of glitter so be sure to use a paper towel under your eyes and build up, rather blend in. As many of you know I use Pink Champagne with almost ALL of my looks so it was super fun to have double the product now!

Once you have the basis for the rest of the shades move along to blending Sherbert in the crease!  Using the fluffy side of the ABH brush I used circular motions and sheered out the color in a C shape down to my lower lash line.  This will create a smokey effect for the other colors to come.  


   Be super careful with Spirit Rock, especially if you're using the brush provided.  I had to restart this whole shadow look on my left eye because it created a black patch over my eye- be sure to use a light hand and a small, dense blending brush.  For the purpose of concentrating the shade in the outer V I switched to my Mac 217 and with circular motions created depth to my eyes.  I dragged the color under my lower lash line as well. 

   Since this color blends out with grayish tones, and I didn't feel like building the color up I went into Makeup Geek Corrupt with a Mac 219 and smudged the shade right on-top of Spirit rock.  Don't drag this under your lower lash line because a different color will be used there!  Once you smudge the color in go back into the Mac 217 and blend the color out just a bit.


       While I was reapplying Pink Champagne to my lid with a Mac 239, I decided to add Metallic Plum to the mix.  I patted the shade right next to Spirit Rock+Corrupt for some extra depth. 


Lastly, I dragged Deep Purple under my lower lash line and slightly touched up Pink Champagne once again this way it was fully glittery! 

As a reference point from the image above, I made thick wings extending out toward the tips of my brows.

*House Of Lashes, Iconic