Saturday, October 17, 2015

Poison Ivy Makeup Tutorial




    Hey beauties!  

    Today I had the fabulous 
idea of doing a Poison Ivy inspired makeup look!  A few years back I had done a similar look andddd I ended up looking like a peacock. I will be showing you guys the before photos at the end!  Keep in mind I also did an Elsa makeup tutorial two weeks ago that is perfect for Halloween!   

    As you can see in this look I overloaded on the pigments and glitter, but in the end it was worth it!  Before I get into details I will tell you this much- start with clean brushes, have glitter glue prepared, and lots of multi dimensional glitters!   Also, for the neck shading I used the same technique of stippling on the glitter glue and using my fingers to disperse the shades.

   ALSO this is my interpretation of Poison Ivy meaning, you can alter any part of this look.  Hell, you could be surf blue if you want!  

        
        Before going onto any primers I applied a facial mask, specifically Origins Retexturing Mask with Rose Clay.  This is a spectacular product because when it is finally dry and you're ready to wash it off, the texture transforms into a foamy scrub.   Unlike my other posts I am emphasizing on the part of exfoliating and moisturizing before BECAUSE the glitter will cling to any dry patches- not a pretty look.  To moisturize I applied Shiseido Refining Moisturizer IBUKI , and in any SUPER dry areas I lightly patted on Josie Maran 100% Light Argan Oil.

NOW that your face is freshly washed you should let the moisturizers set for five minutes before moving onto a primer.

In my eyes, Poison Ivy must have dewy skin.   This is where the Hourglass primer comes in handy!  Not only does it create a protective hydrating barrier from environmental factor it forms such a unique dewyness I have yet to find with other primers.   Just as we had done with the moisturizer allow the primer to sit for five minutes.

Following the dewy trend,  I applied two pumps over my entire face with a dampened beauty blender.  I made sure to apply thin coats because much more will be added later.  As I grabbed my highlighting and contour kit I allowed the foundation to set for two minutes!   


*ABH Cream Contour LIGHT/MEDIUM- Banana, Cinnamon, Nude                                                                                                                                      I noticed this pallet got dried out REALLY quick so I took out my handy Josie Maran Argan oil and put a few drops on each shade.   Little did I know I made an amazing lightweight cream contouring unit!  I used the shades Cinnamon, Nude, and Banana.  As you might of guessed Cinnamon was used to contour, and I mixed Nude and Banana together for a concealing shade (didn't feel like going all out on concealer).  


As I said before, I didn't go concealer happy.  Instead I used this shade to highlight my under eye area as it provides a nice luminous effect to my skin.  I blended this in with a Beauty Blender!

To set the concealer I lightly tapped this on-top with the same Beauty Blender. This process just provides more coverage and combats an "oily" appearance!

This bronzer is SUPER glittery, so it fits the occasion perfectly.  I applied this to the outside contours of my face with a Nars #21 brush.  This sheds warmth back into my face that was lost from contouring!

*KVD Shade&Light Contour Pallet- Subconscious, Lyric, Sombre
While it doesn't seem I did an intense contour in more ways that one I did!  I used the Tarte Swirl Powder brush and first placed sombre right on the sides of my nose, hollows of my cheeks, and under my jaw.  After placing sombre in these areas, I gently picked Subconscious and tapped off access powder.  For a more defined look I applied Subconscious in the same areas as Sombre with the only difference of moving a couple of inches down for more natural effect.  Lastly, using a Sephora #74 brush I applied Lyric under my eye in an upside down triangle shape, on the bridge of my nose, on my forehead, and on my chin!

I heavily applied this stuff because IT HAS NO PIGMENT.  Why I bought this? No clue.  Actually I have a review on the product here, so you might want to check that out as I provided swatches.  Moreover, I used a dense Sephora Multi-Tasker Powder Brush and went to blush city.  I went for a sheer blush because any other colors would take away from the colored glitter! 

This has to be one of the most beautiful highlighters EVER.  It is super glittery so I made sure to first apply a sticky base (ELF Shimmering Facial Whip).  I used my index finger to heavily apply this shade to my cheek bones.  I skipped out on applying it to my nose and forehead because I let the facial whip do the rest of the work.

Before applying the UD illuminator I applied this to my cheekbones,  the bridge of my nose, my chin, and lastly, my forehead.  I used my fingers for this part because the whip is very thick making it almost impossible to use a brush!

BTW I AM SO MAD (note the caps).  This stuff is almost on its way of running out and its been only a month!!!! I think my travel size lasted longer.  Hmpf.   What saves this product is it actually does keep makeup in place.  


     Before I get into the face detailing I would like to begin with the eyes since the pigments chosen were all products used during this section of the makeup look!

*ELF Smudge Pot- Gotta Glow 
Rather using an actual primer I decided to start with a cream eyeshadow with metallic reflects! I had applied a thin layer of Gotta Glow from my lid up to my brow with my index finger.

Using a Mac 239 I applied this to the inner third of my eye.  This golden color reflects green which is PERFECT for the next pigments to come.  I used a patting motion for the pigment to insure optimal pigment

*Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadows- Mint Soda, Lumi, Grand Tiara
After applying the Ingot pigment I went right into Mint Soda and applied it center lid with the same 239 Mac brush. I made sure to pack on the shadow with slight smudging motions to blend it into #42.   Then, I took the shade Lumi and using a 219 Mac brush tapped it in the inner corners of my eyes along with the tear ducts.  Speaking of the tear ducts, I also added Grand Tiara to this shimmery mashup of colors for a more ethereal look!

*Mac eyeshadows- Swimming, Peacock, Kelly, Carbon
After working on the eyelid I moved onto the crease.  In the crease I first applied Swimming with a Sephora Blending brush.  I made sure to use big circular motions for a smoked out look.  After creating a base shade I went onto Kelly, which I believe was a LE, and applied it in my inner V with a Mac 217.  Unlike the motions used with Swimming, I used very short blending strokes to concentrate the color.  Lastly, I took Peacock and deepened up the crease more!  
~Peacock and Carbon are smudged on my lower lash line.





I took Jade and applied it to my upper and lower waterlines for a coordinated look! 


ONTO THE FUN PART.....

Alright, to begin I worked from my right eye down.   Sounds weird but completely makes sense when you do the intricate swirls and splotchy green ivy marks!  


     Using Sugarpills pigment in Mint Soda I took Sephora's Teardrop Highlighter brush and swept this in a C shape surrounding my eye- almost like I am applying a luminizer.  I dragged the shade up to my forehead slightly for a "spread" out effect!  With the same pigment and brush, I took the pigment onto my collar bones!  All I did was brush the shade in random areas on my chest+collar bones. 

     As you can see from the photos I also created depth with a darker green!  To create the depth I used Peacock by Mac and outlined my collar bones with a Mini Sephora fan brush.  I literally swept this a few times where shadows naturally hit my collar bones and proceeded in creating definition on my neck as well.  While moving up the neck I continued making random splashes of Mint Soda.  

**MAKE SURE YOU PAT ON THE SHADES**
By patting on the shades it holds the glitter, and obviously we want the charm bomb to explode with this look.

 I used two major glitters- MUFE #3 Glitter and OCC Mint Glitter.  
ALSO KEEP IN MIND TOO FACED GITTER GLUE

       In terms of the MUFE glitter, I patted this directly on-top of Mint Soda on my right eye!  I also in some areas on my chest mixed the glitter with OCC Mint!  This provided a beautiful golden/green glow.

   For the swirly part that is suppose to represent vines, I took Stilas Smudge Stick in Jade and began by drawing a hook extending from my original winged liner.  After I made the first hook, I connected it to hook in the opposite direction.  Essentially the vines are a bunch of curly hooks :).  Inside the hooks I applied Mint Soda pigment with a 219 brush and later added OCC mint glitter on-top!


LIPS

      To create the glittered effect on my lips I simply patted on MUFE #3 and OCC Mint over the lipgloss with a fluffy shader brush.  This wasn't a difficult task being you can design the placement any way you want!  For instance, I put MUFE #3 on my cupids bow which some might not do as it draws a lot of focus to the lips!  I call these the kiss of death lips.  Yes.  Kiss and die mwahahahaha.


TOOLS
MAC: 239, 217, 219
SEPHORA: #74, #53


So this is my old edition of I suppose Poison Ivy...  I grew on the concept of vining (as you can see) and also my blending improved greatly.  I love doing this old me VS new me posts because it really shows how much I have changed as a person- yep makeup can change people.  In my case, for the better.