Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mini Sephora Haul! Swatches+Review

Hello loves!  I recently have gotten the itch to splurge on some new products that happen to be quite impression, and others rather iffy.  These products will be swatched with and without primer as well as compared to dupable shades (similar to my haul video)



I had bought
Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Cathedral which is a matte coco rose
Born This Way foundation by Too Faced in the shade Porcelain which has neutral to pink undertones
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Pallet
Kat Von D Shade & Light Pallet
Benefit Dandelion
Sephora Lipgloss in 22
This pallet has an array of 16 beautiful shades that have a hint of chocolate scent.
While the scent is literally just a HINT of coco it is relieving to me since I am rather sensitive to smell!
In my opinion, the least pigmented of these shades in well, the prettiest of them all those shades being- Black Forest Truffle, Cherry Cordial, and Strawberry Bon Bon.  Forget the sheer pink- for such dark shades I'd expect pigment! Instead, I found they were very dry even on top of TWO different primers (UD, and Smashbox).
Despite these being iffy in pigmentation they defiantly last long.. with a primer that is.  Today I had worn the eye look shown below for over 8 hours and it still holds shimmer and pigment, which is a plus!


 In this photo I used White Chocolate as a base shade, Milk Chocolate as a transition shade, Marzipan on the entire lid with a tad of Creme Brûlée on the center, then I used Hazelnut in the crease with Triple fudge to deepen the shimmery brown, and lastly Champagne Truffle to highlight!

Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forrest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Hazelnut, Creme Brûlée, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle-- WITH FLASH AND UD PRIMER

This is with natural lighting!
While that all looks great.. here is the swatches WITHOUT a primer, mind you some shades look drastically different IMO.  For example, Cherry Cordial looks almost brown in the no primer'ed swatch!

Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forrest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Hazelnut, Creme Brûlée, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle-- WITH FLASH W/O PRIMER


While Salted Caramel is slightly pinker in tone, Latte by MUG mimics the same color effect!  In fact, the Makeup Geek shade is much silkier and holds up a lot better with, and without primer.  So, if you're seeking more product, at a lower price, check out MUG!

As mentioned in my video the gold in this pallet is simply golden there really isn't anything "BAM" about it in fact, I went out of my way to show more pigmented and longer wearing shades!
From LEFT to RIGHT->
 UD Half Baked ( slightly warmer and more yellow in tone)
Too Faced Naked Eyes Pallet HoneyPot ( more of a yellow tone and is much more pigmented on the lids)
Too Faced Creme Brûlée 
UD Ammo Pallet Chopper (more bronzed)

What annoys me is while these swatches seem great, on the lid its a new ballgame. 

Here are the shades blended out and as you can see Creme Brûlée wore off immediately which proves you're better off with the Natural Eyes pallet as I reach for it more often!

                                    Overall Rating: 6.8/10
While I was excited for this pallet it just does not live up to the hype! In fact some shades are dupable and more pigmented such as Honeypot.  If you're looking for a high end pallet, indulge in the NAKED series by Urban Decay.  If you MUST or LOVE Too Faced buy the Natural Eye pallet as each shade is truly a dream to blend!  My biggest turn off to this is the chalky array of colors, some are hits others are misses which I do not fancy after spending 40+ dollars on QUALITY.


MOVING ALONG!

I am most in love with the SHADE+LIGHT pallet by Kat Von D! The "shades" truly capture what look I was going for while the "lights" were alright, I have seen better.  A lot of people have said "who needs so many shades?" Well, I do.  For example, I use Subconscious on my cheekbones, while Shadowplay is used on my nose, temples, and jawline.  My only issue is that the light shades Lucid-Levitation are wayyy too peachy and pink in tone which means well, sombre isn't working for me.
Here are some swatches of the shades with a primer (SMASHBOX HD PRIMER- COLORLESS)



As you can see each shade is VERY pigmented which I love! Not only is it pigmented I found it to A, not make me oily and B, actually stay on!  I am not used to using such time of products with no oily properties as most of my contour products wear off within give or take 3 hours.  Nope. This baby lasted 8 full hours and hasn't irritated my face one bit!  While I do love the shade "Lyric" I find it is superior to the MARC JACOBS mirage filter pallet.  For some reason, the yellow in the MJ pallet is more light reflective DESPITE it not lasting as long!

Overall Rating: 9/10
This will defiantly be one of my go to pallets for fall since I FINALLY found a dark enough contour shade for my taste!

Benefits Dandelion is a highly recommend blush shade and while it is pretty I feel it does't do much for my skin... like where am I being lit from within...where is my color?
I don't really know.  Perhaps my skin had an off day but the color was alright, nothing special.  For some reason it made me look ghostly, which is odd since I am a fair person!  In fact I prefer Mac's Well Dressed blush ANYDAY over this since unlike benefit Mac's blush doesn't have a lingering scent of flowers, thank you.

Now I am an NC20 in mac, sometimes NC15 and this color is simply ridiculous it doesn't even awaken my skin or compliment it in ANY WAY.  Such a disappointment.
Despite this it did wear a long time and apply smoothly ( I have noticed some long wear blushes are streaky)

Overall Rating: 5/10
I cannot decide if I like this or not as I can see myself wearing it on a blah day with tinted moisturizer.
Now, moving along to the lips! I had been eyeballing Kat Von D's lipsticks for quite some time and decided to finally purchase it!  I had chosen the shade "Cathedral" which is described as a matte coco rose.  Matte it sure is my goodness!  It tugs the lips tremendously to the point getting color out is difficult!  If this shade wasn't so unique, BYE BYE VON D.  Anyway, on top of this I had picked up a sale item'ed lipgloss made by Sephora.  It sorta made Cathedral more lively and surprisingly wore a long time!  I am not use to a lipgloss prolonging lipstick wear and not being sticky, go figure!

Sephora #22 with Cathedral underneath!

Both applied together without lip liner!

The lipgloss was 10/10 for me in all honestly it had the perfect shine and was not sticky in fact i'd prefer it over my BUXOM gloss ANYDAY!!  On the other hand, the von d lipstick was a straight 7.  I do love the color but the texture.. not so much.  Actually, if I recall she had a problem with "lolita" as the last batch was very brown so I might of gotten a bad lipstick, not sure but it definitely was not creamy like Mac's Matte lip line, or the Audacious lip line by Nars.
      Lastly, I am going to swatch my new holy grail foundation.  This is amazing stuff, despite it clinging to dry patches, then there's that.  However, I have found it is the only foundation that DOES NOT make me oily and DOES NOT oxidize which are two things I battle with most foundations.
    
Before I get to the swatches of it, I had noticed many people had an issue color wise.  Now, I am a fair person and this fits amazingly, I think the issue is the shades run more neutral - yellow than pink toned which would reason out why many women find the Porcelain shade too dark.



Blended with out any primer.  As you can see my veining is completely gone and that is with 3/4's of a pump, if even!
Overall, I would rate this 8/10 as I have broken out but I cannot decide if it is from the foundation or my period.  Oh well its great, I shall suffer.

All in all I would not regret these purchases...well maybe the chocolate bar pallet BUT that is O K I have discovered some lovely crease shades such as Triple Fudge!  The best out of these items even over the foundation would have to be the shade&light pallet.  It captures everything I wanted and more (:
Stay tuned guys the haul video will be posted in two days!!